Friday, January 23, 2009

Review: Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott

Currently Reading: Graceling by Kristin Cashore
Next Read: What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell

Just got a copy of Burton Raffel's new unabridged translation of Canterbury Tales from the LibraryThing Early Reviewer site in the mail! I am really excited. Last night at a class meeting an Old English professor quoted from Canterbury Tales, and then this gift arrives. The book looks very solid; it would function as an adequate doorstop. Luckily I'm not that abusive with my books. I'll give it a skim eventually and let you guys know how I find this new translation.

In the meantime...

Stealing Heaven
by Elizabeth Scott

18-year-old Danielle lives with her mother and they are professional thieves. They move quickly from affluent town to affluent town, staying only long enough to find out the information they need and steal what they target, and then they move on. Dani has learned to keep invisible and not form any connections. It may not be the life she wants deep down inside, but it's all she has, all she's ever known.

At the beach town of Heaven, however, things begin to be different. Dani meets several people she thinks she can actually be friends with--if not more. Unfortunately, her and her mother's lifestyles demand that she not make friends, not feel like she wants to settle down.

This puts stress on her budding relationship with two people: Allison, a talkative but genuine girl who lives in the mansion that her mother is targeting next; and Greg, a young and funny local cop who seems intent on making her smile... but he's a cop!

How can Dani not lose her mother's love and respect, while learning to go for what she wants?

Elizabeth Scott's books remind me very much of Sarah Dessen's in that the characters are well developed, believable, and lovable. Greg in particular is charming and will make every girl wish he was real. This is a fun and moving read for all teenage girls.

Rating: 4.5/5

3 comments:

  1. Still have to read this!

    (You won a contest on my site. Come on over...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one! And congrats on winning Wintergirls at Reviewer X.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book! And I'm a huge Sarah Dessen fan. haha. =)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...