Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday (120)

Long time no WoW! YA and I have been working through potholes in our relationship lately. I'm telling it that it hasn't been trying hard enough to become a better being, and in return it's telling me that I can't think of it as a single being, that there are some diamonds in the increasing rough. But anyway. On to the main feature. Here's an upcoming book that I hope will put the "wow" back into WoW.

The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan
On remote Rollrock Island, men go to sea to make their livings—and to catch their wives.

The witch Misskaella knows the way of drawing a girl from the heart of a seal, of luring the beauty out of the beast. And for a price a man may buy himself a lovely sea-wife. He may have and hold and keep her. And he will tell himself that he is her master. But from his first look into those wide, questioning, liquid eyes, he will be just as transformed as she. He will be equally ensnared. And the witch will have her true payment.

Margo Lanagan weaves an extraordinary tale of desire, despair, and transformation. With devastatingly beautiful prose, she reveals characters capable of unspeakable cruelty, but also unspoken love.
When you have Melina Marchetta saying, "It's my favourite Margo Lanagan and that's saying something. It's truly beautiful writing," what more do you really need?

The Brides of Rollrock Island will be published in hardcover in the US by Random House on September 11, 2012.

5 comments:

  1. This one looks amazing. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sigh* I LOVE Lanagan's work. Tender Morsels, though disturbing, was extraordinary. Awesome WoW pick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I'd never heard of this one before, but it sounds super intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is totally my pick for next week. The potential is calling to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was recommended to look out for this one! I can't wait to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...