Thursday, December 3, 2009

Review: Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves


Tags: YA, paranormal, mental illness, family, action, quirky

Rating: 4 out of 5


Summary

Hanna Jarvinen is an unusual teenager. She is biracial, sees and hears hallucinations, wears only purple to remember her dead father (with whose ghost she still communicates)—and is hardly extraordinary when she arrives on her mother’s doorstep in Portero, Texas, after her aunt kicked her out.

That’s because Portero is far weirder than Hanna could’ve imagined. It contains dangerous monsters and many doors between worlds. Portero is hardly the place for Hanna to fall in love and get to know her mother better, but Hanna is nothing if not determined to get what she wants, in spite of both human and inhuman obstacles.

Review

Not since I read Holly Black’s TITHE five years ago have I encountered a story as unique and fascinatingly compelling as Dia Reeve’s debut novel, BLEEDING VIOLET. Indeed, BLEEDING VIOLET defies adequate description and categorization, blending snark, relationship issues, and the supernatural into a sexy paranormal read that will be hard to forget.

From page one, Dia unapologetically yanks readers into a dark and twisted world where monsters and mental illness are simply Hanna and Portero’s way of life, confused people be damned. While this total immersion in the world of Portero may be initially jarring, once I began figuring things out, I felt like I had been let in on a terrific secret, and I LOVED being in Hanna’s world. It’s brutal and shocking, and not for one second can you look away.

Hanna is a protagonist like no other, with her crazy thoughts and her way of looking at the world. She’s slightly disturbing yet inexplicably alluring, the kind of girl you know you should stay away from but who part of you almost wants to be. Hanna is fearlessly original in her interactions with the Porterenes: the awkwardness of her developing relationship with her mother is well drawn, and I found Hanna’s budding romance with Wyatt, a local boy with an important job in monster-policing, to be one of the most well-developed romances I’ve read in recent YA literature. From beginning to end it’s no fairy-tale relationship: there’s no immediate rush of physical and soul-mate attraction, but rather the blossoming of it through witty repartees.

BLEEDING VIOLET is not for those who like their reading fluffy. It’s dark, unapologetic in its occasional gory and weird scenes. Some may disapprove of Hanna and Wyatt’s physical relationship (though personally I found it sexy and well done). Others may be too hopelessly confused by the first couple of chapters or the occasional vagueness of the plot to connect with it. But if you’re looking for a one-of-a-kind dark read, I will find it hard to resist thrusting this book into your hands. Read it, and maybe you will savor it like I did!

Similar Authors
Holly Black (Tithe)

Writing: 5/5
Characters: 4/5
Plot: 4/5

Overall Rating: 4 out of 5


Cover discussion: 3.5 out of 5 - It's purple and manic and totally representative of Hanna. Definitely compelling and something I would pick up on a whim in the store!

Simon & Schuster / Jan. 5, 2010 / Hardcover / $16.99


Thanks to the awesome Sharon for letting me borrow her copy!

16 comments:

  1. This book sounds amazing and Dia is lovely. Shes the one reason why I contemplated NaNo this year, because thats where she origianlly started Bleeding Violet. I didnt do it though in the end, word count continues to battle to the end. Fantastic review, I cannot wait to get this book!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your review! I felt the same way about the book. It definitely isn't going to be for everyone but I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great review! I cannot wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I'm glad you liked it. You've made me even more excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds really intriguing. One to look out for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your detailed reviews. Gorgeous purple cover and intriguing review. Must read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing review, Steph. This book sounds so unusual and atmospheric, I simply can't wait to read it. So completely glad to hear you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds SO GOOD. I can't wait for my copy to arrive :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really intrigued by this. Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice review! Argh, now I'm even more hyped than I was before... Is it January yet!? T__T

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book sounds fantastic! From the cover I thought the main character was a poc or bi-racial, but I wasn't sure. I love the cover and after reading you review I definitely want to read it! Your reviews are so well-written, descriptive, interesting and informative. I'm jealous :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really really REALLY want to read this now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You make me want to read the book now. And it's great to learn that Dia finished this book through NaNoWriMo : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing cover. Would definitely compel me to pick up. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So I linked your review here. I hope that's okay with you? if not, please let me know and I'll take it down asap. =D

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...