For Book Blogger Appreciation Week 2012's interview swap, I was paired with Vy of Vy's Blog. Read on to learn more about this young YA blogger!
My name is Vy and it's pronounced just like the letter "V". I’m currently a high school sophomore and I live in the lovely state of Oregon. Besides reading and blogging, I enjoy playing ping pong and going on long runs.
2. Tell us about your blog. When did you start it and why? What interesting things can visitors expect?
Vy’s Blog is mainly a young adult book blog. I started my blog around the beginning of my 8th grade year in 2010 after I started reading YA books. Readers can expect to find a young adult’s view on many topics and reviews on my blog.
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein is a book I would have never thought of to pick up if it weren’t for fellow bloggers. It is one of my favorite books of the year. I also discovered high fantasy through blogging and I've been in love with the genre ever since.
4. One thing I discuss every once in a while on my blog is my understanding of my Asian identity and how Asians/Asian Americans are represented in YA lit. What is your relationship with your Asian identity? When you've traveled to Asia in recent years, where did you go and what were your impressions?
I’m from a Vietnamese family that is very close to our culture. I was fortunate enough to have been to Viet Nam a total of four times and I enjoyed every visit. My most recent trip to Viet Nam, I went to Nha Trang, Cần Thơ, Saigon, and Phú Quốc. It was great to experience the difference in the way the people interacted and the amazing foods from each location.
5. What are your favorite snacks to have while reading?
I love eating fruit and gold fish while reading.
6. Tell us something you wish people "in real life" knew about you, or, alternatively, something people IRL know about you that you want to share with bloggers.
I guess I wish that people “in real life” knew about my “blogging life”, but I also enjoy keeping it private.
7. What are some things besides books that you just LOVE to receive for presents? :)
Getting posters, and fun fandom or bookish related accessories are my favorite to receive.
8. What do you hope to get out of BBAW 2012?
I met a lot of other bloggers through last year's BBAW and I hope to meet more bloggers through this year's.
Thanks, Vy! Be sure to check out Vy's Blog, and also the interview she did with me over there, in which I talk about my life in Shanghai and my ideal YA character roommates. I greatly enjoyed answering her interview questions, so would appreciate it if you'd give it some love. :)