A lot of the new favorites I read this year are already pretty well known, so I'm devoting my pimping largely to one book: Among Others by Jo Walton. Not that this is an obscure book--it seems to have been sweeping nearly all this year's Best Fantasy Novel awards, after all--but it's a book that I want more people, MORE MORE MORE, to read, for its unusualness and quirkiness and hugginess and squeeness.
You will enjoy this book if you:
- enjoy novels written in diary format.
- like reading about adolescent females coming of age in a historical time period.
- like your fantastical elements weird--we're talking surly, unhelpful fey; spells done hurriedly in the rare escapes from boarding school; and estranged mothers who may or may not be violently insane.
- are a bookworm and get all giddy/excited/turned on when interacting with other bookworms about books.
- have a heartbeat, like books, and like teenagers.