If that's totally not the type of conversations you like to engage in, you're better off not reading this post. And this post assumes that you've read The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. Okay! So.
When I think about how Mockingjay might end, I don't even try to think about the revolution part, except for generalized HEAs. I have no doubt that Suzanne Collins will astound and impress me with the complexity of the resolution, and I can't wait to find out how it's going to happen. But there is something we all like to speculate on: how in the world will the love triangle between Katniss, Peeta, and Gale end? A truly important question, folks.
Right. Well, maybe not important, but definitely fun to talk and speculate about.
The way I see it, there are five possible endings to the love triangle:
1. The Romantic - The Capitol is overthrown and a new era of peace and cooperation among the Districts begins. Gale and Katniss get together. And Peeta survives to become the new voice and leader of the next generation, acquiescing that it was only due to unnatural circumstances (i.e. the Hunger Games) that Katniss had feelings for him. That way, Gale and Katniss' years' worth of unresolved not-quite-as-platonic-as-they'd-like-to-think relationship evolves, AND Peeta doesn't have a death wish and can find a satisfying future as well.
2. The Pragmatic - Gale dies in the midst of rebellion, or is in some way or other removed from the triangle, and while Katniss is devastated with grief, she realizes that, by Peeta's side, the two of them can help to transform the post-revolutionary nation, and Gale's death will not have been in vain. Depressing for both Team Gale fans and Katniss (I still maintain she has had deep feelings for Gale), and decidedly unromantic... but still livable and even hopeful.
3. The Tragic - Peeta dies, perhaps in some horribly shocking, Sirius Black- or Albus Dumbledore-esque way, perhaps right in front of Katniss, at the hands of President Snow in the despicable man's last jab to devastate Katniss. Gale and Katniss naturally get together, of course. But poor Peeta. He suffers through the entire series and nothing EVER works out in his favor. God, I'm getting depressed. I need to go eat something happy-making now.
4. The Heroic - Katniss dies in a powerful symbolic death at the very end of Mockingjay, effectively ending the narration, of course, but the story is already in a position where we can see how Katniss' sacrifice will pave the way to a better and brighter tomorrow.
5. The Insane - Both Peeta and Gale die. Katniss is forced to have a clean slate. WHY, GOD, WHY? *depressed*
Which of these would you prefer as the ending to Mockingjay? Which do you think will most likely occur? Do you have other ideas?
And now, just for fun, some images that come up when you GoogleImage "Team Peeta/Gale":
Or how about this "Peeta vs. Gale: How's a Girl to Choose?" t-shirts from Zazzle.ca? Maybe Mockingjay will be the first YA book to condone multiple-person marriage?
[ETA] Some bloggers have brought to my attention that Twitter conversations and other blog posts regarding Mockingjay predictions have occurred within the last few weeks. I wanted to clarify that I was not involved in any Twitter conversations discussing possible Mockingjay endings, and have not read others' posts regarding the subject. I was not aware that these things have been happening. These theories in this post have spouted completely from my mind, and I do my best to ALWAYS give credit to inspirations or thought provokers if my writing about something was sparked by their writing. If you'd like me to link to your Mockingjay prediction post, I'd be happy to do so. Please email me at stephxsu at gmail dot com.