Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday (74)

StarCrossed by Elizabeth C. Bunce

Digger thrives as a spy and sneak-thief among the feuding religious factions of Gerse, dodging the Greenmen who have banned all magic. But when a routine job goes horribly wrong and her partner and lover Tegen is killed, she has to get out of the city, fast, and hides herself in a merry group of nobles to do so. Accepted as a lady's maid to shy young Merista Nemair, Digger finds new peace and friendship at the Nemair stronghold--as well as plenty of jewels for the taking. But after the devious Lord Daul catches her in the act of thievery, he blackmails her into becoming his personal spy in the castle, and Digger soon realizes that her noble hosts aren't as apolitical as she thought... that indeed, she may be at the heart of a magical rebellion. [summary from Goodreads]

Elizabeth Bunce's first novel, A Curse Dark as Gold, won the 2009 William C. Morris Debut Award. While I haven't read it yet, I have heard fantastic things, and the premise of her sophomore looks to be just as interesting and ambitious! You'd have to call this...what? Fantasy? It feels very old-world at the same time, though--you know, that feel of a classic fairy tale. I'm so intrigued!

StarCrossed will be published in hardcover by Arthur A. Levine on October 1, 2010.

11 comments:

  1. This one looks exciting. Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curse is fantastic!!! I can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I love a rich and mysterious cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this one before but it sounds great. The cover looks good as well!
    My Waiting on Wednesday is here

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds pretty good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh I want this one as well, it looks intriguing. I read A Curse as Dark as Gold and while I didn't love it, I'm curious enough to read other books the author comes up with.

    My WoW pick is here in case you want to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't heard of this one before. Great pick, btw ^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely agree that this sounds like an old school fairy tale - I also thought of Robin Hood lol =) Graet pick!

    Here's mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Bunce's writing and am definitely looking forward to this as well.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...