Thursday, July 1, 2010

Cover Lust (16): HarperCollins 2011

There's been a sudden increase in beautiful covers in my life. Check out these ones from HarperCollins that have gotten my attention recently.

All summaries are from Goodreads.

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton
(Katherine Tegen Books / Feb. 11, 2011)

When seventeen-year-old Ellie starts seeing reapers - monstrous creatures who devour humans and send their souls to Hell - she finds herself on the front lines of a supernatural war between archangels and the Fallen and faced with the possible destruction of her soul.
A mysterious boy named Will reveals she is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, the only one capable of wielding swords of angelfire to fight the reapers, and he is an immortal sworn to protect her in battle. Now that Ellie's powers have been awakened, a powerful reaper called Bastian has come forward to challenge her. He has employed a fierce assassin to eliminate her - an assassin who has already killed her once.
While balancing her dwindling social life and reaper-hunting duties, she and Will discover Bastian is searching for a dormant creature believed to be a true soul reaper. Bastian plans to use this weapon to ignite the End of Days and to destroy Ellie's soul, ending her rebirth cycle forever. Now, she must face an army of Bastian's most frightening reapers, prevent the soul reaper from consuming her soul, and uncover the secrets of her past lives - including truths that may be too frightening to remember.

It's more in the style of urban fantasy covers than young adult... but I think it's badass. That girl is beautiful in the way she looks like she can cut down anyone who gets in her way.

Entwined by Heather Dixon
(Greenwillow Books / March 29, 2011)

Azalea and her younger sisters dance in the mysterious silver forest every night, escaping from the sadness of the palace and their father’s grief. What they don’t understand—although as time passes they begin to get an inkling of the danger they are in—is that the mysterious and dashing Keeper is tightening his snare with deadly purpose. Luckily, Azalea is brave and steadfast. Luckily, a handsome young army captain also has his eye on Azalea. . . . Lush, romantic, and compelling, this debut novel by Heather Dixon will thrill fans of Shannon Hale, Robin McKinley, and Edith Pattou.

Another 2011 debut novel. I can't tell if the graininess is due to the resolution or not, but that is one gorgeous dress, in a gorgeous garden maze. It seems like a fantastical fairy tale-like story.

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
(HarperTeen / Jan. 4, 2011)

In this first book of a thrilling trilogy about angels, one girl must choose between fulfilling her Purpose and following her heart.
Clara has known she was part–angel ever since she turned fourteen two years ago. But now she is finally getting visions of what her Purpose—a rite of passage for every part–angel—is to be, and it happens to involve a gorgeous guy. Of course, there is the raging forest fire surrounding them, too. When Clara’s Purpose leads her family to Wyoming, Clara finds the boy of her visions, Christian, but complicating her mission are her growing feelings for another guy, Tucker. As the day in her visions draws closer, Clara discovers that her Purpose may play into a larger struggle between angels and Black Wings—fallen angels who spread sadness and misery wherever they go. But when the fire erupts and both Christian and Tucker are in danger, who will she choose to save?
From debut novelist Cynthia Hand comes a riveting tale full of supernatural powers, forbidden romance, and the choice between fulfilling your destiny or following your heart.

I'm kind of wary about angel love triangles, but I do really like this cover, especially the title lettering, which reminds me a lot of the lettering for Beautiful Creatures and Beautiful Darkness. That, plus the purplish tint throughout, definitely puts the girl in a more ethereal light for me.

Where I Belong by Gwendolyn Heasley
(HarperTeen / Feb. 1, 2011)

Corrinne Corcoran’s upscale Manhattan life is perfectly on track—until her father announces he’s been laid off and she’s shipped off to Broken Spoke, Texas, to live with her grandparents. All alone in a big public school and forced to take a job shoveling manure, Corrinne is determined to get back to the glamorous life she’s supposed to be living. But as she grudgingly adjusts—making new friends and finding romance along the way—this city girl begins to realize that life without credit cards and shopping sprees may not be as bad as it seems....
In this sparkling debut that flawlessly balances romance and humor, readers will grow to love sharp and sassy Corrinne as she goes on her totally reluctant but completely irresistible journey of self-discovery.

Never underestimate the power of a contemporary realist novel. Contemporary fiction never sounds as exciting as all the paranormal stuff, but I have a feeling this could be really good. I'm not sure how much I like the models and their poses, but I like the vibrancy of the colors, and think that their costumes are a nice detailed touch.

The Gathering (Darkness Rising, Book 1) by Kelley Armstrong
(HarperCollins / April 12, 2011)

Maya lives in a small medical-research town on Vancouver Island. How small? You can’t find it on the map. It has less than two-hundred people, and her school has only sixty-eight students—for every grade from kindergarten to twelve.
Now, strange things are happening in this claustrophobic town, and Maya's determined to get to the bottom of them. First, the captain of the swim team drowns mysteriously in the middle of a calm lake. A year later, mountain lions start appearing around Maya's home, and they won’t go away. Her best friend, Daniel, starts getting negative vibes from certain people and things. It doesn't help that the new bad boy in town, Rafe, has a dangerous secret—and he's interested in one special part of Maya's anatomy: Her paw-print birthmark.

This is the sort-of spinoff from her Darkest Powers series. The cover is not as exciting and nice as the other ones here, but I really like how the earrings sparkles so stunningly against the rest of the more muted picture. The cover's setup reminds me a bit of the covers for Alison Croggon's books, which I'm okay with.

Steel by Carrie Vaughn
(HarperTeen / March 1, 2011)

When Jill, a competitive high school fencer, goes with her family on vacation to the Bahamas, she is magically transported to an early eighteenth century pirate ship in the middle of the ocean.

There's not much about this book yet, but after the way she completely exceeded my expectations with Voices of Dragons, I can't wait for more from Carrie Vaughn, and I don't think anything she writes can go wrong (at least for me). This one about pirates sounds like it's going to be great... but look at that cover as well. The brilliancy of the light on steel, the golden feel of the entire thing. I'm just in awe. I WANT.

-

So what do you guys think of these covers? Which would get your attention in a bookstore? Which one do you like most, or are most looking forward to?

14 comments:

  1. Um wow!!! I've only seen the cover for Angelfire which I've been drooling over since before it even had a cover--everything else looks GORGEOUS!!! WOW, I love how they're doing covers now:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with Frankie, I think they are doing amazingly well with their recent covers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only seen the cover for Angelfire like Frankie but OMFG are these covers incredible and... and I want to read them all O_O I would definetely get all of these books if I saw them at the bookstore! I have to WoW these later xD! Thanks so much for pointing them out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thing that struck me about these covers is that they all show an entire face or, in one case, the back of a person. There's no weird cropping so that only a hand, or hair, or eyes are on the cover. Looks like that trend is going away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the concept of Steel! Thanks for highlighting some awesome new books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving the book cover for Where I Belong. I so want to read that book, thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favourite out of the lot would have to be Steel, I agree with you the light glinting off the sword is brilliant and goes so well with the whole colour scheme of the cover and the wonderful text font and colour.

    I also love Where I Belong. The image more than anything, the title font not so much or maybe its the positioning but I'm willing to ignore it because the rest of the cover is just marvelous.

    Angelfire I like at a glance but I don't love the cover, it would get me to pick up the book though and look at the synopsis. I also love the title font and colour.

    Entwined I would love if the picture wasn't grainy, I hope its jsut the resolution and not the actual cover image because pixelation turns mre off. And I agree with you that dress is gorgeous.

    Unearthly and The Gathering are my least favourite :( I don't have anything against monochrome, I actually love it but the shades used didn't work for me. The title font is the only thing I love for Unearthly but it probably wouldn't make me check out the book some more.

    The Gathering I will read because its Kelley Armstrong and I love her books but I don't like the cover, the shimmering earring effect is wonderfully done but the lips should have probably been blue like the rest of the image even if I don't like how the blue looks here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh- another awesome coverlust post :)

    My faves here are Angelfire, Steel and Unearthly <3

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cover for STEEL looks freakin' amazing. Truly. I want that one right now. Pirates. Girl-fencer? all kinds of win there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those covers look amazing. I have some serious cover love issues too. I added those books to my "to be read" pile :) The one I am looking forward to the most though is Angelfire!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WHERE I BELONG looks great...I love the vibrant colors of the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the Steel cover - must be the sword. Pirates? I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhhh, I love the fairy-tale feel of Entwined - that would definitely grab me in a bookshop (even if only to drool over the dress)!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...