Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cover Lust (25)

Beautiful new babies to pine after, based on their covers alone! (But I bet their contents are just as lovely.)


All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin
(Farrar, Straus & Giroux / Sept. 27, 2011)

So Daisy Whitney and I were gushing over Twitter the other day about how simply genius this cover is. Rather than layering on the imagistic complexity that I have no doubt this dystopian story will give us, the cover sticks to a rather somber color scheme, and then it's all about texture texture texture. The more I gaze at this, the more details I see that I missed before. It's the kind of cover that gets better and better with each look, and, like most other aspects in life, that's the best sort of thing.


Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions, edited by Melissa Marr and Kelley Armstrong
(HarperCollins / Sept. 20, 2011)

I was such a sucker for perspective drawings back when I took art classes. I could totally picture this being a creepy photo taken from an old book about supernatural encounters, complete with grainy feel. The swirl of smoke around the girl, the subtle rays of light glancing down from the title, and the title font complete the attraction for me.


Displacement by Thalia Chaltas
(Viking Juvenile / June 9, 2011)

This is a mishmash of bright color and eerie pose that at first glance probably seems like it shouldn't work. But it does, in a rather disturbing kind of way... at least, that's how it makes me feel. I mean, you're trying to force warmth and comatose together. But it really captivates me. It kind of has a creepy smoothness similar to Scott Westerfeld's UK Uglies series covers.

(Then again, I could be totally misinterpreting how this cover wants readers to feel.)


Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer
(Philomel / July 26, 2011)

So I cover-lusted over Wolfsbane's original cover several months ago, and was rather surprised when they decided to change the cover, as well as the whole look of the series. There's been lots of outrage over the change, but I'm not complaining: I like this new cover quite a bit. It's simple, yet bold and powerful and alluring at the same time. The model's pose suggests a combination of sex and strength, which is what I feel like this entire series is about. And, of course, I'm rather partial to that rich, deep, luxurious shade of emerald green.... *strokes lovingly and sleeps with it by my head*


I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan
(Little, Brown / May 3, 2011)

Does anyone know if this was done by the same cover artist who designed Francisco X. Stork's covers? You know, the everlastingly fabulous Marcelo in the Real World? It sure has that feel. Totally not what I was expecting from reading the book's synopsis, but I like it! The silhouette design draws me in.


Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan
(St. Martin's Griffin / Sept. 27, 2011)

This cover reminds me quite a bit of the covers for Lisa McMann's Wake series. I like, however, that it's so simple, with the details and our focus centered on that glowing porthole that's the O in the title.
-

So there you have it. Six very different covers, all of which I like. I think they're also a shift from the types of covers I usually lust over. Perhaps my cover preferences are changing...?

14 comments:

  1. i soooo dig the GLOW cover. And it's so fitting.

    Love the Displacement one, as well. And I see the Uglies similarities. I'm a fan of the fact it's yellow. It pops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous. That I'll be there cover is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful covers!
    My fave is the one for the Gabriel Zevin book, I hope it's good -because I'm kind of hit and miss with her books.

    Great picks, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the GLOW cover by Sammy Yuen? Looks like his work.

    The Gabrielle Zevin cover is amaaaazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm surprised that I actually really like the cover for All The Things I've Done. I generally don't go for such bland colors, but... yeah, wow. I definitely agree with you on Displacement and Glow as well, both of which are very intriguing and beautiful in an unique way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I immediately thought of Marcelo in the Real World when I saw that cover too! No idea if it's the same artist, but the covers are very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh! First time I see the Glow cover. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Glow cover is amazing! I do see the similarity to Wake. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, now. You just introduced me to a bunch of books I didn't know about and now have on my GR wishlist. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glow sounds A LOT like Across the Universe. But in a good way :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the simple elegance of Glow. Enthralled looks sumptuous! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome covers to lust over! I didn't know that All These Things I've Done finally had a cover! That book's been in my radar since January. It's still so far away! *whine*

    While I'm not normally big on anthologies, Enthralled has such an awesome cast of authors I love that I have to pick it up! Plus, that cover! Plus, it has nothing to do with a certain notorious Running Press anthology. Yes, please!

    Wolfsbane...Well, I never read Nightshade so I can't really talk. But I LOVED the original covers. I still like this one, but the original Wolfsbane cover just looks more...unique.

    I haven't heard of I'll Be there before, but based on that cover, I need to look up more! Thanks for the Goodreads link!

    Finally, Glow. Um, how have I not heard of this before? That cover is GORGEOUS! Actually, it first reminded me of Matched. Probably the circle aspect. It also reminds me of an upcoming book whose title I can't think of at the moment because I'm horrible... Beautiful!

    Is it that your tastes are changing, or that you're becoming more discerning? With me, it's the latter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't the cover for "I'll Be There" gorgeous? I mean, wow! It reminds me of the Marcelo cover as well. The artist for that is Dan McCarthy, but I can't find any information about whether or not he did the cover for "I'll Be There." I'd love to know!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The cover of I'll Be There does look like Dan McCarthy's work, but it was actually designed and created by Neil Swaab. You can see this drawing and other samples of his work on his website.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...