Saturday, March 9, 2013

Hearting Things (3)

Don't you just love it when you acquire a bunch of interesting articles / random passions / new hobbies, and you want to share your obsessions them with your blogger friends, and you wonder how you should label and title such a random blog post, and you decide you're going to label it "Hearting Things," and you look through your already existing labels and realize that you'd already written several Hearting Things blog posts last year? Your past self outsmarted your present self! Whoa!

I'm quite tickled.

Anyway, here are some things of awesome I've been immersed in as of late, and as bloggers are typically a passionate bunch, it would be really cool if I could spread my love and interest in these things to a wider audience, to increase conversation etc.

Postcrossing

This is so not a recent passion, as I've written about it before, but it's become a passion that's only grown over time and pulled me more and more into its seductive world. So with all of the junk that usually stuffs our inboxes, who doesn't like receiving actual, tangible snail mail? This website that started out with a simple concept--send a postcard to a random stranger in the world, receive a postcard from a random stranger--has grown into a lifestyle for some members. Join, and I guarantee you that within two received postcards and five sent ones you'll be addicted to the anticipation of finding something unexpected in your mailbox. Then you will start acquiring postcards and noticing them everywhere and thinking about how cool it would be to find a person who'd appreciate you sending it to them... and pretty soon you will be surrounded by dozens of awesome postcards, all just waiting for a perfect recipient... and then you will start cursing how slow international snail mail is, for you want your sent postcards to arrive faster so you can send moarrr postcardsss....

Okay, you get the picture. But spoken from the heart of a postcard addict. So join me in this exciting community and make people's day!
www.blog.paper-source.com

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries

I am probably far from the first blogger to write about LBD, but there is no harm in gushing over it some more, because there are always people out there who have not yet been exposed to this awesome. A requisite summary: LBD is a modern interpretation of Pride and Prejudice using social media formats--primarily the web video. Oh hey, sure, you've experienced doesn't of media forms that attempted to recreate P&P's irresistible blend of social satire, humor, and romance. You've even, secretly, furtively, attempted to write a modern version of P&P yourself. (Oh, come on, own up: I can't be the only one who's done this.) "It's impossible to update P&P successfully!" you say. "What difference in social status can cause Darcy and Elizabeth to shun each other's social circles nowadays? What the devil do George Wickham and Lydia Bennet have to do in the 21st century to really scandalize everyone?" Thus spoken, you return to hugging your well-worn copy of your Colin-Firth-as-Darcy DVD set, lamenting the fact that you were born in into the wrong century.

Ah, but you would be missing out on what is arguably the most successful modernization of Pride and Prejudice. Ever. It's fresh while maintaining all the elements beloved from the classic. It's well-written, and acted so naturally that some viewers who've never heard of P&P actually believe these are real people, vlogging their problems in real time. Start, and I dare you to not watch 20 episodes at a time. What are you waiting for??



"Why I Choose to Be Child-Free" Article

Getty via thedailybeast.com
One of the most resonant articles I read recently was one in The Daily Beast about the growing number of people who are choosing to remain childless--or "child-free," as some readers prefer to be called. This article started the discussion and asked for readers' stories, and the result was a whole bunch of fascinating and thought-provoking responses. I was riveted by this pair of articles, as it was the first time I was able to see some of the thoughts that have been percolating in my own head over the years written out articulately.

My first, startling realization upon reading these articles was just how little this choice of lifestyle is discussed, let alone supported, even though it's 2013. I think that many people grow up with this unspoken understanding that someday they, too, would rear children of their own and hope that their offspring grow up into decent human beings. My heart ached as I saw myself reflected clearly in some of the readers' stories. Regardless of your own thoughts toward being parents, whether you are parents or adults who chose not to have kids or you're too young to have thought seriously about it yet, I hope you will give these articles a moment of your time and think a bit upon societal expectations toward reproduction, and societal reactions toward those who wish to consider a different lifestyle.

HarperTeen Epic Reads E-Book Sale
Last but certainly not least--HarperTeen's Epic Reads is having an EPIC E-BOOK DEAL this month. For $1.99 each, you have a choice of recently released, critically acclaimed titles, as well as access to some classic favorites that you may or may not have been waiting for a great e-book deal on. I mean, we're talking about The Miseducation of Cameron Post, one of my new favorites, published just last year, and which I have been gushing on and on about recently. And JELLICOE ROAD, whose greatness I hope I don't have to explain at this point. All for $1.99. You can't get a better e-book deal than that! I immediately bought those two for my Kindle, which should motivate me to reread them sometime, and I am eyeing some of the other titles, such as Never Fall Down, Patricia McCormick's latest.

-

There you have it, ladies and gentlemen, the latest edition of Steph's Hearting Things! What are some things you've been hearting lately that you want to share with me?

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that postcrossing thing! I love sending and receiving mail so that is right up my alley. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray, more people to be part of this community! :D

      Delete
  2. I had not heard of the Lizzie Bennet Diaries. I need to fire these up right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you recognize their brilliance and become as addicted as me!

      Delete
  3. I've come across Postcrossing before, but I haven't signed up yet. It sounds brilliant, though! I love receiving things from across the world and there's something quite thrilling about it, too. :) And thanks for sharing the child-free article. That will be an interesting one for me. Off to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just recently got into LBD and I'm so obsessed... I'm ashamed to say i have never read P&P before but now I know I need to buy a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, it's never too late to read P&P. Hope you love it!

      Delete
  5. From someone who's chosen to be child-free, thanks so much for the links! It's interesting to read all the different reasons why people made this choice and how diverse the people are who did.

    How have I not yet joined the LBD revolution? People talk about it all the time on Twitter...I really need to get on this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing! I love the Lizzie Bennett Diaries and I'm super happy that there the cast has diversity. I'm a little sad since LBD seems to be coming to an end. D:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is so cool! :) I love the postcrossing thing. Honestly I have no interest in joining but it's a cool thing. If I ever catch some cool I'll let you know so you can add Bosnia there :)) For the LBD sounds cool! I have to check it out :) Thanks for sharing all these things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I had no idea about HarperTeen's sale, but Shatter Me and Under the Never Sky for 2.99? That's fantastic. I mean, I own both, but more people will get to read them this way, and I'm very excited about that.
    I have a friend who is totally into post-crossing. I never managed to get into it mostly because I'm far too busy to add another thing I simply must do, but I like how excited she gets over it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of Postcrossing until now. What a wonderful idea. I am definitely joining, can't wait to get started!

    Oh the LBD. I plowed through that series in one weekend and laughed my butt off (and cried a bit, I must admit). Isn't it amazing?! I want everyone to watch it. Bless you for calling it out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE the Lizzie Bennet Diaries.Did you see yesterday's episode?? Absolute perfection.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...