Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday (124)

Long time no WoW. Since I've returned to blogging I've been smacked by gobs of great-sounding books. I've managed to narrow my picks down to only the most appealing ones and restrained from dumping them upon you all at once...

Wild Awake by Hilary T. Smith
Things you earnestly believe will happen while your parents are away:

1. You will remember to water the azaleas.
2. You will take detailed, accurate messages.
3. You will call your older brother, Denny, if even the slightest thing goes wrong.
4. You and your best friend/bandmate Lukas will win Battle of the Bands.
5. Amid the thrill of victory, Lukas will finally realize you are the girl of his dreams.

Things that actually happen:

1. A stranger calls who says he knew your sister.
2. He says he has her stuff.
3. What stuff? Her stuff.
4. You tell him your parents won’t be able to—
5. Sukey died five years ago; can’t he—
6. You pick up a pen.
7. You scribble down the address.
8. You get on your bike and go.
9. Things . . . get a little crazy after that.*
*also, you fall in love, but not with Lukas.

Both exhilarating and wrenching, Hilary T. Smith’s debut novel captures the messy glory of being alive, as seventeen-year-old Kiri Byrd discovers love, loss, chaos, and murder woven into a summer of music, madness, piercing heartbreak, and intoxicating joy.
Several factors in the book's favor:
1. That cover. Bright, bold, beautiful.
2. That synopsis. If I were an agent, I'd sell my spleen to have a first look at it if that came across my desk.
3. It turns out that I've been following Hilary's blog for a while, back when her online identity was INTERN. Yeah, were you following her back then? Did you also think that she had one of the most effortlessly funny blogs around, and did you want to be her?

Oh yeah, I super want this book.

Wild Awake will be released in hardcover from Katherine Tegen Books on May 28, 2013.

-

Have you heard of this book? Are you excited for it as well?

10 comments:

  1. I'm not entirely sure if this will be for me, so I'll be waiting for some reviews to start trickling in. But I love the cover! Orange is never my thing, but I love how brilliant it looks here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really excited about this one! It sounds really intriguing. And I think it's on Edelweiss, if I'm not mistaken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this book is also on my to-read list! :) I can't wait to see reviews for it :) Great pick :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really excited for this one too! It sounds a little strange and quirky and I just have to find out exactly what happens when "things get a little crazy after that". That's an epic teaser if I've ever heard one. And damn if it didn't work just as it was supposed to. I NEED TO READ THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is a new to me book. It sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love the synopsis for this one. And the cover is so filled with energy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will add this book to my list. It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the cover for this one-the colors are so eye-catching and it makes it seem like a book full of energy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds pretty awesome. Thank you for highlighting it. Although, I have to say, that this has never happened to me when my parents have gone away.

    If only... haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woah, that synopsis is AWESOME! Great WoW pick!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...