Wild Awake by Hilary T. Smith
Things you earnestly believe will happen while your parents are away:Several factors in the book's favor:
1. You will remember to water the azaleas.
2. You will take detailed, accurate messages.
3. You will call your older brother, Denny, if even the slightest thing goes wrong.
4. You and your best friend/bandmate Lukas will win Battle of the Bands.
5. Amid the thrill of victory, Lukas will finally realize you are the girl of his dreams.
Things that actually happen:
1. A stranger calls who says he knew your sister.
2. He says he has her stuff.
3. What stuff? Her stuff.
4. You tell him your parents won’t be able to—
5. Sukey died five years ago; can’t he—
6. You pick up a pen.
7. You scribble down the address.
8. You get on your bike and go.
9. Things . . . get a little crazy after that.*
*also, you fall in love, but not with Lukas.
Both exhilarating and wrenching, Hilary T. Smith’s debut novel captures the messy glory of being alive, as seventeen-year-old Kiri Byrd discovers love, loss, chaos, and murder woven into a summer of music, madness, piercing heartbreak, and intoxicating joy.
1. That cover. Bright, bold, beautiful.
2. That synopsis. If I were an agent, I'd sell my spleen to have a first look at it if that came across my desk.
3. It turns out that I've been following Hilary's blog for a while, back when her online identity was INTERN. Yeah, were you following her back then? Did you also think that she had one of the most effortlessly funny blogs around, and did you want to be her?
Oh yeah, I super want this book.
Wild Awake will be released in hardcover from Katherine Tegen Books on May 28, 2013.
Have you heard of this book? Are you excited for it as well?