Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Review: The Miseducation of Cameron Post by emily m. danforth

Tags: YA, LGBT

Summary

Cameron Post’s parents died in a car accident the day she kissed a girl. That, and Cameron’s conservative Montana town, sets the tone for her romantic and sexual encounters. When Cameron’s in-over-her-head romance with another girl gets discovered, she is sent off to conversion camp.

Review

THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST couldn’t have come at a better time. In a modern world where the topic of homosexuality is so frustratingly politicized, Cameron’s story is a welcome respite. With crisp, relatable prose, unique characters that burrow themselves in your mind, and character ambiguity that marks only the most brilliant and realistic novels, THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST shapes up to be one of the best YA debuts, if not one of the best books, of 2012.

There are so many things to like about this book. I like how danforth doesn’t politicize homosexuality. The homophobic characters in the book are people too, not soulless demons who arbitrarily spew homophobic comments; the conversion therapy setting isn’t depicted as all good or all bad, but rather just is. While this may frustrate some pro-gay marriage pundits who feel like this book doesn’t take a strong enough stance on the topic of homosexuality, I appreciate its honest-to-life portrayal, the gentle admittance that, in many circumstances, it’s impossible to neatly put issues and people into boxes.

Here is a book that shows that when you don’t write down to teenagers, you’re finally getting close to writing at their level. Little separates this from an adult book except for the age of its protagonist. Cameron’s observations and musings don’t have an age limit; in fact, her thoughts don’t have any kind of label that derives from our politically and religiously charged world. This means that THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST isn’t a story about a gay girl; it’s just a story about a girl.

The book isn’t perfect—and by this I mean the extraordinarily cheesy, over-the-top ending—but danforth proves in one fell swoop that she’s no amateur when it comes to writing resonant fiction. I wholeheartedly recommend THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST to anyone with an appreciation for well-written, emotionally resonant literature, and wait with eager anticipation to see what danforth has to show readers next.

Similar Authors
Jennifer E. Smith
Tana French

Cover discussion: At first I didn't think much of it, but it's the kind of cover that grows and grows and grows on me. I now appreciate how it doesn't try to make a statement or do any gaudy self-promotion, much like the way the book is itself. Which means that it's up to people like me to spread the word about this quietly awesome book.

Balzer + Bray / Feb. 7, 2013 / Hardcover / 480pp. / $17.99

Personal copy.

23 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you feel the same way I do about this book. I know a lot of people thought it was too long, but I loved every single minute of this book and I felt a deep connection to it. I agree with everything you say here. Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to thank me - I'm so glad that there are other people out there who love this book as much as I do!

      Delete
  2. I've been deliberating on whether to take advantage of the Kindle deal for this book and, after reading your review, decided that this definitely seems like a worthwhile investment. This isn't a genre I'd normally gravitate towards, but it sounds so different and intelligent and just worth a read. Thank you for this thoughtful and well-reasoned review! I'm glad you enjoyed it and I can't wait to read it myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best $1.99 you will spend this month, wuttt.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed this! I've heard nothing but good things about it, but your review has me scrambling to get to this because this is EXACTLY the kind of book I'm looking for right now. Fantastic review, Steph! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if you have an e-reader, you can buy it this month for only $1.99: http://www.epicreads.com/page/edeals/ #shamelesspromotion :)

      Delete
  4. What I loved most about this book was as you said, that it portrayed all the characters as real people. The best books I've read with gay characters showed that both the pro-gay and anti-gay characters (for lack of better terms) were neither all good nor bad. Each had their own biases. I like an author who doesn't stick solely to one message and try to demonize the wrong side.

    Although I did think it was too long. Beautiful written though. I especially appreciate it now, because I live in Eastern Montana, maybe an hour from where the book was set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, I know what you mean. I love when books/authors allow readers to draw their own messages from it. That, to me, is a better representation of what real life is like than the books or authors that try to shove messages down readers' throats.

      Delete
  5. This book is wonderful, period. I even loved the ending, which I felt was a perfect tie to the rest of the book. It was all realistic but it still ended with some kind of happiness, which I appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you were the one who first pushed me to read this book, so *thank you*.

      Delete
  6. I was just thinking..but I haven't read a lot of books talking about homosexuality and I have no idea why. This one sounds interesting and maybe I'll give it a try one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After this one, you should read Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz. It's wonderful.

      Delete
    2. Tanja - doooo it.

      Tahleen - Now that I've seen that book all over the Internet, consider it put on my to-read list!

      Delete
  7. Terrific review! I've been reading this one slowly on my Kindle, when I'm on the go, and the writing is really good. I love the sense of place and the tactile details especially.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was an amazing review! You've just made me really want to read this one now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adored this book. Definitely one of my favourites of last year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read this book just yet, but I do want to. I think it sounds like an incredibly interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like it could be pretty interesting. I have to say, that you are right about society and this one does sound refreshing. I am glad you enjoyed this one so much. Fabulous review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard such brilliant things about this book! I'm glad it portrays homophobia and homosexuality in a realistic way - that's something you don't see often. I'll have to get my hands on this sooner rather than later. Fantastic review, Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have heard nothing but good things about this book so I think I am going to need to read it ASAP. I love when books have LGBT themes but make the protagonist seem just like a normal person instead of a boy who is gay or a girl who is a lesbian. Great review Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Too often homophobic people are portrayed one-dimensionally, which simply cannot be accurate. Nice to know that danforth handled it differently.
    I've never given this book much thought, but it sounds wonderful.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore this book, and completely agree that it was one of the best books of 2012 (it was certainly on my list). I agree that part of what makes it so fantastic is that it portrays both those who are homosexual and those who are homophobic as real people. Sometimes both can be misguided, but that doesn't mean they don't mean well. I love the cover too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...