Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Top Ten Books at the Top of My Spring 2013 TBR List

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Rather than pretend that I'm in the know about soon-to-be-released books and all that, the majority of books on this list will be books I can't wait to read when I visit the States in May and once again have easy access to recently released books!

1. Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, Book 3) by Melina Marchetta

I am waiting for the US hardcover version to come out in April, so my set can match. To tell you the truth, I'm so nervous about reading this book. I don't want this magnificent series to end, to not have a Melina Marchetta novel to look forward to.

2. Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, Book 2) by Marissa Meyer

Cinder was a tremendous surprise back in January 2012, and so I've been looking forward to seeing how Marissa Meyer carries forward the rest of her intriguing series.

3. Heart of Steel (Iron Seas, Book 2) by Meljean Brook

The Iron Duke was red-red hot! As soon as I finished it, I was dying for another Iron Seas book. It's unfathomable why I haven't got to this yet. Can't wait until May!

4. Books I bought in August 2012 but didn't read then: The Changeover by Margaret Mahy and The Winter Prince by Elizabeth Wein

I ordered these online the last time I was in the States, in August 2012, because they are the favorite books of some of my favorite bloggers. Sadly, they didn't arrive in time for me to enjoy them. No excuses this time, since I already own them and they're at home! ...somewhere...

5. Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill

I originally dismissed this book as something I wasn't interested in, owing mostly to that syrupy synopsis and equally candy-like cover, but it's gotten lots of good ratings, so I want to give it a try.

6. Aussie YA: Notes from the Teenage Underground by Simmone Howell, Six Impossible Things by Fiona Wood, and Slice by Steven Herrick

It's really sad that I own these highly acclaimed books, the latter two of which were a generous, priceless gift straight from an Aussie reader, and still haven't read them.

7. Dreamhunter (Dreamhunter Duet, Book 1) by Elizabeth Knox

Having just been in New Zealand and fallen head over heels in love with everything about it, I feel the need to learn more about it, starting with its literature. I've had Dreamhunter lying around forever; hopefully my memories of New Zealand will give me that extra push to really pick this one up.

8. Then Came You (Gamblers, Book 1) by Lisa Kleypas

It's been a while since I've read a historical romance along the lines of Sarah Maclean / Julia Quinn / Mary Balogh. This one comes highly recommended by a bevy of my Goodreads friends. Bring on the late night swoons!

9. Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Gillian Flynn is a much-talked-about author among the readers I know. I do this thing where I am greatly interested in reading an author's works in the order in which they were published. Hence why this is on my list.

10. Steel's Edge (Edge, Book 4) by Ilona Andrews

I am a lucky reader: it seems that every time I manage to come back to the States for a spell, there is a new Ilona Andrews book waiting for me to devour. I don't want to put any undue pressure on an author by saying that his/her/their books never let me down, but nine books and countless shorter stories later, Ilona Andrews just gets better and better.

Honorable Mentions:
The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling, The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin, The Summer Prince by Alana Johnson

And as a bonus, here are some movies I want to find and watch when I'm back in the States, as the movie selection in China is also a bit touch-and-go:



Any recommendations or suggestions for me?

29 comments:

  1. i'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts about meant to be.

    i was super excited for MTB because i love that sort of YA contemp. but i tried reading it and it was a dnf for me (i didn't like the main character).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know that it wasn't for everyone. It will make me tone back my expectations a bit, and that will hopefully make me enjoy it more. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. QoC was quite good, but FotR is still my fave. :) And I just finished Scarlet. So awesome, wow!

    my TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked FotR (of course), but FotE blew it out of the water for me. Wonder what I'll think of QoC!

      Delete
  3. Just finished reading Cinder so I'm really looking forward to reading Scarlet.

    Here's my Top Ten.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scarlet & Meant To Be!!!! Eeee I want to read both so badly. I loved Cinder and I have high hopes for Scarlet! :)

    Here's mine this week: http://booknerdreviews.com/2013/03/top-ten-tuesday-1

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting list! The only one I've read is Meant to Be. It was light and funny, somewhat similar to Anna and the French Kiss. Elizabeth Wein and Melina Marchetta are favorite authors of mine, but I'm more into realistic fiction. Wein's Rose Under Fire is due out in September here but in June in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not known that Wein was coming out with another book. This is great news! A comparison to Anna and the French Kiss is good news for Meant to Be. It will be first on my list to check out of the library in May.

      Delete
  6. You know how i feel about Aussie YA - six impossible things and notes from the teenage underground are both extraordinarily good - the authors over in Oz really appreciate the importance of character development and they never ever do the trope thing which is so refreshing.

    Quintana is everything I wanted it to be and more. I can't wait for you to read it.

    The Changeover was one of my favourite books when i was a teen! Sorry Carlisle was my first fictional crush and so my penchant for blond boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aussie YA makes me wish I lived there because YES, WIN. I'm not sure how I missed The Changeover when I was younger. I hope that when I rectify my mistake, I will still love it as much as others have!

      Delete
  7. Quintana of Charyn was my favourite book of last year, it's outstanding... but I don't want to skew your expectations too much :p I'm still waiting in line for Scarlet at the library, and I can't wait to read that either :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. *sees Melina Marchetta's name on cover* --> expectations already skewed.

      Delete
  8. I can't wait to read Scarlet too - Cinder was soooo good! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meant to Be is a little silly, but it's super cute and well worth a read. I still need to read the second book in Marchetta's series before Quintana. I thought Casual Vacancy was disappointing - I've only managed to get halfway through. I wasn't that surprised - I never expected it to be Harry Potter and I do appreciate it for what it is, but it's not a fun read for me.
    Pitch Perfect is awesome. I've seen it twice too, but rewatched my favorite scenes many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry: my expectations for The Casual Vacancy are quite low. But it's Rowling, so I've got to give it a try, though I don't necessarily have to finish it. :)

      Delete
  10. I adore Lisa Kleypas' books! The Dreamhunter duet is very unique and thought provoking, I hope you love it. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just finished QoC and thought it pretty much perfect. Am already looking forward to reading the whole series again. Scarlet was also lots of fun! I've just started The September Girls which seems very good this far if you can get hold of an ARC - I picked one up via Edelweiss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read up a little on September Girls--it seems intriguing. I hope I can find a few more reviews on it before I decide whether or not I'd like to give it a try. Thanks for the rec!

      Delete
  12. Scarlet was, if you can believe it, better than Cinder! So good!

    I got Rainshadow Road by Lisa Kleypas for free from Goodreads, and I didn't think I was going to like that book at all, but when I read it, I LOVED it. I'm definitely keeping my eye out for more of her books!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I watched Labyrinth for the first time this year. It was entertaining, but underwhelming for me because I didn't think the main character grew up reasonably from the story (though it's probably meant to be like Alice in Wonderland, where she doesn't really get effected by her journey into the crazysauce.) Meant to Be is also one I have to get to - as well as buying some of the ones you mentioned (The Iron Duke, Cinder, The Changeover....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mainly want to see Labyrinth in order to see David Bowie as the Goblin King. :D

      Delete
  14. Scarlet is AWESOME. I love Scarlet the character as well :D
    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ditto for me on Dreamhunter and Scarlet! Oh, and add Riveted by Meljean Brook to your mental TBR pile, too - I thought it was amazing!

    Great list, Steph, and best of luck in reading through it! I too need to watch PP again (for the tenth time?).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Quintana was such a wonderful, heartbreaking yet hopeful read. I'm pretty sure you'll love it.
    Although not as good as The Iron Duke, Heart of Steal is action-packed and exciting,a nd the worldbuilding is astonishing. I have yet to read Scarlet, I just got my copy on audio. Hopefully I'll like it more than I liked Cinder.
    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The fact that you need to watch Pitch Perfect AGAIN is aca-awesome! I'm obsessed with that movie, and I definitely have watched it a TON.

    I'm pretty excited for Quintana of Charyn as well, even though I haven't finished Froi of the Exiles yet. I love Melina's writing, and her fantasy series is pretty darn awesome.

    And Scarlet is a must read! I really love that series, and I consider myself an advocate for it. You must meet Scarlet! And Wolf! And Thorne!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dreamhunter is one of my all-time favorite books. I'm sure you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, that's great to know! I really respect your reading taste so that's many points in Dreamhunter's favor.

      Delete
  19. I just picked up Gone Girl to read, so hopefully I'll enjoy that one before branching out into more of Flynn's books.

    Oooh, look at all those fabulous titles on here. Many of which I want to read too, Meant to Be and Melina Marchetta's books being just two.

    I saw Dreamhunter spotlighted the other day and I'm looking forward to checking that one out too as it was the first I'd heard of it! :)

    Fab list.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These all look so good! I want to add lots of them to my growing list of things to read. I always enjoy Ilona Andrews too :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...