Thursday, July 30, 2009

Cover Lust (3): Black Backgrounds

Recently I've been seeing a number of covers that contain a translucent/shimmery/neon/ethereal/eye-catching image on a black background. I'm sure you know the kind of cover I'm talking about. While I'm not sure how well any of the following covers capture the essence of the story--being as I haven't read all of them--I think there's just something about them that will catch your eye in the store or library and make you want to read it!

Ballad: The Gathering of Faerie by Maggie Stiefvater
I love the use of fire of flames on cover (but that's another post for another time!), but this one is particularly striking to me because it's against the black background.

The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
Simple and a little eerie, these legs: they look much too pale, skinny, and crooked to be human... which is part of their appeal to me! There's a heck of a lot of purple for me, but it's still a striking image.

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
I'm not sure what this is supposed to be a picture of--a leaf? a flower? a snowflake? a hint of a person? Maybe it's all of them, and maybe it's not. But I love the light that you can sort of see through the surface. Backlighting!

Gone (Wake, Book 3) by Lisa McMann
All of the covers for the Wake series are pretty nice, but this one is my favorite by far. Maybe it's just because green is my favorite color, and I think they did a great job using just the right amount of green to not be overwhelming. The interrogation chair spotlighted in the middle of all the darkness is amazing.

How do you feel about these covers? Are you a fan of the black backgrounds, or if you're not, do you think they will attract attention and sell? Can you think of any other black background covers that you like?

7 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the cover for Gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them all. I'm a big fan of bright images on black backgrounds. My favourite at the moment is the UK version of Kissed by an Angel.

    They're all very eye-catching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them all, not just the covers, but also the books. The Dark Divine is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find covers with black backgrounds are usually abstract and initially interesting, but don't convery much of the character of the book for me. Maybe that's why they seem mysterious?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of the black backgrounds especially the UK Sarah Dessen covers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the contrast of black covers with bright images.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...