Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday (23)

Beautiful by Amy Reed

Summary from GoodReads:

When thirteen-year-old Cassie moves to a suburb of Seattle, she is determined to leave her boring, good-girl existence behind. She chooses some dangerous new friends and is quickly caught up in their fast-paced world of drugs, sex, secrets, and cruelty.

Cassie's new existence both thrills and terrifies her. She embraces the numbness she feels from the drugs, starts sleeping with an older boy, and gets pulled into a twisted friendship triangle that is tinged with violence and abuse. Cassie is trapped in a swift downward spiral, and there's no turning back.

I absolutely loved, and at the same time was horrified/fascinated by, the movie Thirteen, directed by Catherine Hardwicke, which came out a few years ago. This book sounds similar to the movie, which means it's a definite want for me. I'm always intrigued by stories with darker plots, stories of lives that could happen to any of us if we're not careful.

And isn't the cover great? I love the unusual title treatment, and the picture looks like a good girl gone bad. It's really compelling. I can't wait!

Beautiful will be published by Simon Pulse in hardcover on October 6, 2009.

What are you waiting on this Wednesday?

(And let me know how you think of the slight tweaks I've made to my layout! I like it a lot more now--there are still things I need to continue to work out, as well as some very necessary features such as "About Me" and "Review Policy" posts, but overall I'm happy that I was able to figure out the HTML on my own. One of the few perks of being an insomniac!)

9 comments:

  1. Ooh, great pick. It does sound like a really interesting book. The only thing I'm put off of... is that she's 13? I haven't seen the movie, but now I'm thinking I should. I'll have to find it somewhere. :)

    HTML is a pain to deal with. I fixed the layout on my blog too and it took ages. (not an insomniac, just a procrastinator. XD)It looks really good though, your blog. :)

    - Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really interesting. You're right. It could definitely happen to any one of us.

    You did the HTML by yourself? Wow, that's pretty cool. Did someone teach you or did you figure it out on your own? It looks really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looked at that cover fast and thought it was Avril Lavigne. Heh.

    Great job on the blog tweaking! Used to love to change the blog around when I was on blogger, it's a lot harder to mix up when you're with Wordpress. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I love the new layout, it looks fresh and neat!

    And I agree with Cat, the cover does remind me of Avril. The synopsis sounds perfect, it's like roughly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I see this played out too much. But if you don't know, I'd much rather you read about than share it as personal experience.

    Like the new look, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm liking the new background! This one looks intense... ;)
    -amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm liking the sound of this one. And the cover, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one does look really good. The cover is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...