Brent of Naughty Book Kitties is a new but powerful voice in the YA blogosphere. His reviews are distinctive and always fun to read, and he's so passionate about the things he cares about. I'm honored that he's agreed to answer a few of my questions. Welcome, Brent, to Steph Su Reads!
I’m Brent, and I’m a cheerleader (no really), gay boy, avid glitter-user, reader, blogger, and aspiring publishing aficionado. I’m fifteen and in Kentucky. Uh, I killed my goldfish two years ago, and am terribly devastated.
2. Tell us about your blog. When did you start it and why? Where did the name come from? What interesting things can visitors expect?
My blog! Yes, I’m married to Naughty Book Kitties. I started in March with my best friend Emily, just because we needed somewhere to talk about our crazy addiction to YA. Now it’s just me, as Emily got caught up in school (Hi, Em! You thought we forgot about you, huh?). The name? Dude, I will never be able to answer that question. I think I was high when I came up with the name “Naughty Book Kitties.” No, really.
3. What's the most memorable book event you've attended so far?
….I actually have never attended a book event. I know, my life is over, right?
4. You should try to soon! Can you name 3 favorite books and why you think everyone should read them?
Tricks by Ellen Hopkins, because it will both disgust you and make you see the beauty of the world.
The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, because it will teach you the value of a second, day, week, and year.
5. Besides reading and blogging, what other activities are you passionate about, that take up a lot of your time?
Shopping. I pretty much own Hollister, Borders, and Abercrombie.
6. One thing I really like about your blog is your distinct voice. What is some advice you'd give to new bloggers who want to stand out in the YA blogosphere?
Don’t be scared, and be original. I don’t know about you, but I’m a TEENAGER, and I really don’t want to hear “this novel was beautiful and poetic, the writer’s use of adjectives and pronouns is one of the best I‘ve seen in American contemporary literature” and I don’t want to read a literary analysis. Have fun with your blog, and don’t censor yourself. Speak out about books and topics that are important to you, and be original with your writing and voice.
Doritos! My god, I am a Dorito addict.
8. If you could change places with someone for one day, who would you be and why?
Danielle Steel. We’ve all set ourselves up to believe that she lives the perfect life of every person who reads/writes/loves books. And she’s written like five billion books!
9. What are some things you just LOVE to receive for presents? :)
10. And finally, tell us 2 interesting things about yourself that can spark conversation.
I’m gay. Oh, it sure does spark conversation. :)
I’ve always wanted to be a writer, yet I’ve never gotten more than four-thousand words in a story. That’s like a fashion designer who’s scared of making clothes, right?
Hey, maybe you're cut out to be a short story writer, Brent. :) Well, whatever you end up do, I'm sure you'll do it splendidly with your passion and fun-loving personality. Thanks, Brent! Readers, be sure to stop over at Naughty Book Kitties if you haven't yet already.
Friday Featured Bloggers is an occasional feature on my blog in which I interview a blogger whom I respect and admire. To check out other bloggers who have been featured, click here.