Friday, November 12, 2010

Friday Featured Blogger (26): Brent from Naughty Book Kitties!

Brent of Naughty Book Kitties is a new but powerful voice in the YA blogosphere. His reviews are distinctive and always fun to read, and he's so passionate about the things he cares about. I'm honored that he's agreed to answer a few of my questions. Welcome, Brent, to Steph Su Reads!

1. Tell us about yourself in a few short sentences.

I’m Brent, and I’m a cheerleader (no really), gay boy, avid glitter-user, reader, blogger, and aspiring publishing aficionado. I’m fifteen and in Kentucky. Uh, I killed my goldfish two years ago, and am terribly devastated.

2. Tell us about your blog. When did you start it and why? Where did the name come from? What interesting things can visitors expect?

My blog! Yes, I’m married to Naughty Book Kitties. I started in March with my best friend Emily, just because we needed somewhere to talk about our crazy addiction to YA. Now it’s just me, as Emily got caught up in school (Hi, Em! You thought we forgot about you, huh?). The name? Dude, I will never be able to answer that question. I think I was high when I came up with the name “Naughty Book Kitties.” No, really.

3. What's the most memorable book event you've attended so far?

….I actually have never attended a book event. I know, my life is over, right?

4. You should try to soon! Can you name 3 favorite books and why you think everyone should read them?

The Vast Fields of Ordinary by Nick Burd, because it is my bible.

Tricks by Ellen Hopkins, because it will both disgust you and make you see the beauty of the world.

The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, because it will teach you the value of a second, day, week, and year.

5. Besides reading and blogging, what other activities are you passionate about, that take up a lot of your time?

Shopping. I pretty much own Hollister, Borders, and Abercrombie.

6. One thing I really like about your blog is your distinct voice. What is some advice you'd give to new bloggers who want to stand out in the YA blogosphere?

Don’t be scared, and be original. I don’t know about you, but I’m a TEENAGER, and I really don’t want to hear “this novel was beautiful and poetic, the writer’s use of adjectives and pronouns is one of the best I‘ve seen in American contemporary literature” and I don’t want to read a literary analysis. Have fun with your blog, and don’t censor yourself. Speak out about books and topics that are important to you, and be original with your writing and voice.

7. Favorite junk foods?

Doritos! My god, I am a Dorito addict.

8. If you could change places with someone for one day, who would you be and why?

Danielle Steel. We’ve all set ourselves up to believe that she lives the perfect life of every person who reads/writes/loves books. And she’s written like five billion books!

9. What are some things you just LOVE to receive for presents? :)

Books and clothes! Books and clothes. :)

10. And finally, tell us 2 interesting things about yourself that can spark conversation.

I’m gay. Oh, it sure does spark conversation. :)
I’ve always wanted to be a writer, yet I’ve never gotten more than four-thousand words in a story. That’s like a fashion designer who’s scared of making clothes, right?

-

Hey, maybe you're cut out to be a short story writer, Brent. :) Well, whatever you end up do, I'm sure you'll do it splendidly with your passion and fun-loving personality. Thanks, Brent! Readers, be sure to stop over at Naughty Book Kitties if you haven't yet already.


Friday Featured Bloggers is an occasional feature on my blog in which I interview a blogger whom I respect and admire. To check out other bloggers who have been featured, click here.

41 comments:

  1. Awe! He sounds like so much fun! *heading over to NBK...*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Brent's blog. I stalk it on the regular. His reviews are hilarious to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm WHY don't I follow this blog! Thanks for the post Steph..now I can go rectify this issue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I have a new blog to investigate, and a craving for Nacho Cheese Doritos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily,

    I am saddened by your thoughts on both my blog and I. But please keep negative thoughts to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm kind of disappointed in some other people, not Steph Su.

    Love Brent's blog - keep doing what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brent and his blog are both awesome. He's freaking hilarious. :)

    Lilibeth and Emily: Just shut up. You're obviously hate-filled people, but no one wants to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Brent and I love his blog. He's an amazing person and far less ignorant and close minded than some people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so ashamed and disgusted that people would make such horrible comments... YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW BRENT. How DARE you judge him based on his sexuality. What gives you the right to do that?? If someone is a "horrible person" it sure as hell doesn't have anything to do with their sexuality. Keep those thoughts to yourself, because you won't be finding any friends here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Emily and Lillibeth:

    Bugger off.

    Love, me.


    LOVE YOU BRENT. <3 Seriously, guys, follow NBK. It's one of the few blogs on my link list in which I read EVERY POST.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh, and I bet you haters would never have the balls to say that to someones face, so shut up with it on the internet. thanks! :) (sarcastic smiley face)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Emily and Lilleth: The only thing God hates is haters. So back off and deal with your own issues as I'm sure you have plenty of them. Brent is a great Guy and just cause you don't agree with him doesn't mean you have to hate. His blog is freakin' awesome too! So back off! Also haters, if you follow my blog I'd appreciate it if you stop. I have no room for your kind. I have plenty of other followers to replace you. Thanks. :)

    Steph: Great interview! Brent's blog is one of my favorites out there!

    Brent: you are a rockstar.

    That is all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @emilybrown then i'm sorry i implied that you are a coward. clearly you're not a coward. and i wont even comment on the "unprofessional" thing. you're so not worth my time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Steph: Thanks for a fun interview with an interesting blogger. I love Brent's blog!

    Brent: I'm sorry for the negative comments you received. I know you are intelligent enough to realized they don't speak for all of us.

    Negative comment posters: Your comments were not necessary. If you don't know Brent personally, your opinion carries no weight. I agree with Jeremy...the God I pray to does NOT approve of hate.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks for the awesome/fun interview.

    Brent I think you're awesome - keep up with the awesome blogginess (is that even a word? whatever i'm using it). ^_^

    - Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  22. april - you rock. just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW.

    Brent and Steph, so sorry the haters turned up on this post. I love both your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Steph,

    Another great interview. You always ask the best questions.

    Brent,

    You are fabulous and your blog rocks! Love you! Ignore the meanies.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Brent has a great blog. Emily Brown darling I have to say that was a brilliant scam trying to use Alea's name to get books! However those of us like Brent, Alea, Steph and myself that have been around a long while... the pubs know our addresses LOL.

    I love reading comments from idiots hehe. I LOL.

    I live in the SF Bay gay pride is alive here and I am all for LGBT!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Steph great interview, I always enjoy reading your blogger interviews.

    Brent, you're awesome. You know I love your blog, and anyone who makes comments like these...well, karma's a bitch. They will get theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Kudos to Steph for featuring such a fantastic blogger. And Brent do keep up the good work! One of the reasons I love your blog, is because of who you are. And I ADMIRE for having the courage to be who you are and not be afraid of it!

    Unfortunately there will always be haters. The best bet is to ignore them and move one. Don't waste your time giving them the attention they so desperately seek. They'll soon get bored and move on to someone else.

    As for Emily Brown (who from her comments, is not only a bonafide biatch, but also a compulsive liar) go hate somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Miss Emily Brown,

    You are a complete idiot. I would love to see this blog you have been running for the past five years. Could you be so kind as to link me?

    Also for your 'blog' to be 'hacked' that would mean that your whole Google account would be compromised. That is quite a hard feat to accomplish.

    You see I work in the tech industry at Yahoo! and I would love to have a look at the source code to find the hack. If I do find it I promise to send you a fix immediately.

    Oh God the one you were referring to also hates liars, and internet trolls. :D

    ReplyDelete
  31. Don't worry, y'all. Karma's gonna get her GOOD.

    Brent, keep on rockin'!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Kind of funny how I read the interview but skipped all the comments. That's SO unlike me! Thanks to Twitter, I was brought back here.

    Just wanted to say that Brent is an amazing person. I think it's great that he's proud to be who he is, even among all the haters in this world. His blog is crazy unique. I've never seen such a distinct voice--his reviews are always fresh and individual.

    Don't judge someone based on just ONE thing. I will never be able to understand why people can't just leave their ignorant opinions to themselves.

    Also, thanks Steph for the great interview! I definitely need to read more of Ellen Hopkins. I've read Crank, but I'm kind of too proud to get it off my friend. (She bought it, read half, didn't like it, offered it to me after I borrowed it)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Brent/Steph: Great interview! I loved finding out a bit more about Brent.

    Brent: Don't let the haters get you down! Your blog is awesome. It's actually one of my favorite new ones out there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. What is up with these trolls? Get back under your bridge and stop harassing awesome people.

    I love Brent's blog and think it's amazing and hilarious.

    These attention whores need to get a brain/life/hobby/all of the above.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lilibeth and Emily, you are everything that is wrong with this world. To go through this fabulous and positive interview (well done Steph Su and Brent, love you guys to pieces!) and only end up hating and being homophobic is unhealthy and disgusting. I don't care if you're black, white, straight, gay, transsexual, human or panda, you're seriously out of order.

    Brent is fifteen and an avid reader and has this amazing blog. No wonder you'd be jealous.

    I've had the opportunity to chat with Brent and he even interviewed me for his blog. He is one of the smartest and kindest people I've met in the blogging community.

    Brent, I got your back. You keep rocking.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great interview!

    Brent - Don't let comments from a person who obviously has nothing better to do with their time faze you. And always remember karma is a sweet, sweet bitch ;)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for a great interview! I adore Brent's blog!

    I'm sorry you and Brent had to read such hateful comments, but as you can tell, there's a lot more love here then there is hate.

    I wish I could make my reviews as unique and funny as Brent's, he inspires me with every post!!!

    PS (I don't know who they're God is, my God tells me to love everyone, and teached forgiveness, not hate)

    PPS (April, I know you're mad, but not everyone who is in a trailpark, or a hillbilly, is ignorant. Stereotyping, is stereotyping, no matter what it's about.)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Steph -- it was great to see this interview. Brent is a truly unique voice, and the recognition is well deserved.

    Brent -- you are a class act, my friend. Don't change a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Steph: Great interview. You do so well with them. :)

    Brent: I hope you aren't taking these comments too seriously. Clearly "Emily" has a serious problem, and is a tried and true bitch. (Sorry Kristi, but one of us had to say it.) Stay true, stay you, and don't let idiots get in the way.

    Emily: Meh. You're not worth my time. I think Steph will be deleting your comments soon, but still.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Fun interview! Sad that people aren't respectful enough to keep their hatefulness to themselves. How unhappy do you have to be to have that kind of venom in you? What happened to the "Let he who is without sin...." part? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They are NOT however entitled to be cruel and hateful. Brent, I don't know you but I just want to say this... don't ever let anyone tell you that you don't deserve respect.
    Steph Su Reads. I'm sorry that this had to happen on your blog. I'm thankful for all those speaking up for you and Brent!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...