Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Gone Swimming!


Yep, it's that time of the year again, for me and 50-ish other swimmers to head off to the warm, warm lands of Puerto Rico to swim for 4 hours a day, for 10 days straight. It's nice having sunshine and beach weather in the middle of January, but I don't think I will miss the whole waking-up-at-5am, muscle-soreness-upon-muscle-soreness part of training trip!

As always, training trip is the time when I essentially "disconnect" from the world and just enjoy reading and writing when I am not either eating, sleeping, or swimming. I'm taking 6 books with me for the trip:

Guardian of the Dead by Karen Healey
Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith
The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson
The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima
Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Such delicious variety! Guardian of the Dead and Rot & Ruin are Cybils reading (I am a Round 2 judge for the YA Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre!), and the rest have been in my TBR pile for far too long. Needless to say, I am very happy and think I will have a great reading time over training trip!

And don't worry: I have such a huge backlist of reviews to post that it will feel like I'm not even gone. Have a great 10 days, everyone, and see you when I get back on the 14th!

21 comments:

  1. Have fun darling! Maybe can you stuff me in your suitcase? I'll scamper off and do some island living and be back for the departing flight :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That actually sounds like a fun trip. I swam all through high school and still do a club team so being in the water is right up my alley :) Have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sounds intense! I hope you have an amazing time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It definitely sounds rigorous, but I hope you enjoy the warm weather. We are going to get more snow on Friday I hear. UGH! Soak up the sun-- I am majorly jealous! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! Have a great time! Good luck reading all of your books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember reading about this trip last year. Sounds like so much fun! This is my 3rd year on the swim team and I love it so much (except the part about always being cold afterwards).

    What events do you swim and what are you personal bests?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I recently read & reviewed Rot & Ruin - you'll enjoy it, hopefully :) Have a great ten days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Crown Duel is a great book to have along on a trip - plenty of adventure! I've re-read it countless times :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH man, are you really going to bring The knife of never letting go and NOT bring the sequel?!?! *cliffhanger loooooms*
    haha, anyways... your trip sounds awesome, hope you have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's one nice way to "disconnect" from it all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You're so lucky to be somewhere warm and sunny this January!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't know you were a swimmer. I'm impressed that you manage to juggle academics, sports and book blogging. When do you sleep?

    I swim too but not competitively. I always have a good writing day if I swim laps first thing in the morning. I'm working with the Bowdoin College swim coach to improve my technique.

    I linked to your old "What's missing in YA" post in today's review/interview of a sporty girl YA novel, Head Games by Keri Mikulski. It's part of a series for teen girls who play sports. The author is currently working on one about a lifeguard.

    Have a wonderful time swimming, reading and enjoying those gorgeous sun rises! I feel warmer just reading this post in frigid Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have fun! I want an excuse to go to Puerto Rico again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy your time away! Even though you'll still be "working" I hope you can enjoy the time spent away from the every day life of the internet! haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lucky girl! Have a fantastic and productive trip.

    I'm already 1/3 of the way through my Cybils reading for the YA panel and I have to say they did good with the shortlist! Hope you enjoy your selections.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice! I live in Puerto Rico! Enjoying the heat?! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...