Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday (60)

Plain Kate by Erin Bow

Plain Kate lives in a world of superstitions and curses, where a song can heal a wound and a shadow can work deep magic. As the wood-carver's daughter, Kate held a carving knife before a spoon, and her wooden charms are so fine that some even call her "witch-blade" -- a dangerous nickname in a town where witches are hunted and burned in the square.
For Kate and her village have fallen on hard times. Kate's father has died, leaving her alone in the world. And a mysterious fog now covers the countryside, ruining crops and spreading fear of hunger and sickness. The townspeople are looking for someone to blame, and their eyes have fallen on Kate.
Enter Linay, a stranger with a proposition: In exchange for her shadow, he'll give Kate the means to escape the town that seems set to burn her, and what's more, he'll grant her heart's wish. It's a chance for her to start over, to find a home, a family, a place to belong. But Kate soon realizes that she can't live shadowless forever -- and that Linay's designs are darker than she ever dreamed. [summary from Amazon]

Wow, this book sounds gorgeous! I don't read much historical fiction, but more and more I am a fan of a well-done historical fantasy, and this one seems to have all the right elements of history, magic, fantasy, danger, and romance. Can we get a sa-wooon here?

Plain Kate will be released in hardcover by Arthur A. Levine Books on September 1, 2010.

13 comments:

  1. I sa-woooooned over this book a few weeks ago! I'm totally in love with the cover ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me, it is every bit as wonderful as it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That book sounds awesome and I just added it to my list of books to watch. Here's mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a fantastic book. I will definitely have to read this. Great pick!

    Here is my WoW pick

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one sound amazing and I love that cover! Looks so adventurous!

    My WoW pick is here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've followed her husband's blog for years and he's a published author as well. I loved his Unwritten Girl Trilogy.

    Heard great things about this one and I'm looking forward to it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to read this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love a good historical fiction fantasy! Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm right there with you swooooning(along with all the Gucci stuff that anonymous brought with him/her over here) ;-)

    Plain Kate sounds terrific, I hope the content is as good as the description makes it out to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, now I read R.J. Anderson's comment and I'm sold(loved Knife so I'm trusting her judgement!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Little late making all my rounds , but I agree this sounds like a very intriguing and lovely read. I will have to get this on my wish list

    ReplyDelete
  12. By the way I just saw they are going to have a signing for Plain Kate at BEA for anyone attending.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...