Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday (105)

The Survival Kit by Donna Freitas
A romantic and heartfelt celebration of both memories and new beginnings.

When Rose’s mom dies, she leaves behind a brown paper bag labeled Rose’s Survival Kit. Inside the bag, Rose finds an iPod, with a to-be-determined playlist; a picture of peonies, for growing; a crystal heart, for loving; a paper star, for making a wish; and a paper kite, for letting go.

As Rose ponders the meaning of each item, she finds herself returning again and again to an unexpected source of comfort. Will is her family’s gardener, the school hockey star, and the only person who really understands what she’s going through. Can loss lead to love?
I'm in the middle of rereading 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson (one of my favorite books when I was younger) in preparation to review The Last Little Blue Envelope. The Survival Kit kind of reminds me a bit of 13 Little Blue Envelopes, at least from the synopsis: using objects to enlarge one's life and understand something that's hard to comprehend, like death. Plus, I LOVE that cover. Wow. And finally, Donna's last book, This Gorgeous Game, was astounding, so I am all the more looking forward to what she has for us next!

The Survival Kit will be released in hardcover from Farrar, Straus and Giroux on October 11, 2011.

6 comments:

  1. This one looks SO GOOD. Gah! Can't believe it'll be so long before it comes out...

    Nice pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started 13 Little Blue Envelopes! I saw that you gave it 5 stars on goodreads so that made me more intrigued :-) This book sounds interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover and very nice pick this week. I haven't read 13 Little Blue Envelopes but its on my TBR. This one doesn't sound like my kind of book but I hope you enjoy it!

    Sandy
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first time hearing about The Survival Kit but it sounds great! And you're so right, it really does remind me of Maureen Johnson's 13 Little Blue Envelopes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay so as soon as I saw this cover I thought "Oh hey look it's called THE SU." Which would be neat because HEY THAT'S YOU and also hey guess what I'm calling you if you ever become a professional wrestler.

    It does look like a good read. I haven't read 13 LBE. Yet. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sound of this one. And I also thought This Gorgeous Game was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...