Sunday, June 13, 2010

Review: This Gorgeous Game by Donna Freitas

Tags: YA, stalking, Catholicism, writing

Summary

Olivia Peters’ dream comes true when she wins a prestigious high school writing contest and gets the attention of Father Mark Brennan, an esteemed priest, professor, and writer. As a reward for her contest win, Father Mark takes Olivia under his wing and introduces her to the fascinating world of writers and the writing lifestyle.

For a while, Olivia is sailing. She has an attentive mentor, a new crush, and good relationships with her family, friends, and teachers. But then she begins to feel that something might be wrong. Hardly a minute goes by without Father Mark contacting her in some way, pressuring her to meet up with him, go over their writing together, have a drink. And the more Olivia tries to avoid it, the bigger and the more terrifying the problem gets.

Review

THIS GORGEOUS GAME is one of those books that, try as hard as you can, you won’t be able to get off your mind after reading. It’s chilling and astonishingly well-written, and if you’re looking for a book that will disturb and move you, this should be the one.

Stalking is extremely difficult to discuss, because it’s personal, upsetting, and so subtle you don’t realize something’s wrong until it’s already happened. That’s why what Donna Freitas has accomplished in THIS GORGEOUS GAME is so impressive and respectable. In writing alternatingly lyrical and down-to-earth, Freitas captures the simultaneous realism and surrealism of Olivia’s situation. Passages of unearthly beauty entwine with creepy situations for the mood that this story needs to be effectively convincing.

Olivia narrates her story with all the subtlety that this topic demands. Most of us will know what’s happening, can see the signs, but we can also see why Olivia could not have noticed the signs like the way we with our foresight can. Olivia’s story perfectly captures the terror of stalking, because it’s precisely its near-invisibility that makes it so disturbingly powerful.

THIS GORGEOUS GAME is as far from a light read as you can get. I still get goosebumps every time I think about or try to talk about this book, which hopefully shows the power that Olivia’s story had over me, the effect of Donna Freitas’ words. If physical horror isn’t your thing and you want to read something that will affect you profoundly, THIS GORGEOUS GAME is the ultimate choice. See if you get chills from reading it as I did.

Similar Authors
Julie Anne Peters (By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead)
Courtney Summers

Writing: 5/5
Characters: 4/5
Plot: 5/5

Overall Rating: 4.5 out of 5


Cover discussion: 4 out of 5 - It's simple, yet gorgeous and powerful, so symbolic, so mesmerizing.

Farrar, Straus & Girous / May 25, 2010 / Hardcover / 224pp. / $16.99

ARC received from publisher.

18 comments:

  1. Totally loved this one too. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I was convinced by your review. It sounds moving, I'll check it out very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover for this book!

    Nice review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, now I can't wait to read this. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I'll definitely have to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, this book sounds absolutely amazing. I can remember you talking about it on twitter when you'd just finished, saying how powerful it was. I think the premise for this one would've put me off reading it if not for this review. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. From the cover alone, this looks fabulous. It's one of the creepiest, most disturbing covers I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe I never paid any attention to this book before now. It sounds really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing review. Based on your writing alone I am now very interested in this book. Thanks for putting this one on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm surprised I haven't heard of this one -- sounds amazing! Love that haunting cover, too, and will definitely add this to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review. I definitely want to read this, but maybe I'll read it on a very sunny morning or something. I don't want to get too freaked out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds great! can't wait to read it!

    BTW, there's a blog award for you over at my Blog!
    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds great! can't wait to read it!

    BTW, there's a blog award for you over at my Blog!
    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome! I want to read this so badly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds so intense: I love the idea of stalking in a YA book. Not a topic you normally see. I'm also intrigued by the use of Catholicism in lit. The only author I really enjoyed that used religion as a major part of their book was Angela Morrison, but I think I'll check Freitas out. And agreed, the cover is pretty darn sweet. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review, and, wow, such a high rating. This one sounds like an extremely emotional read, and I've had a brush of the same experience with an art teacher a couple years ago... Not anywhere near this but still disturbing. It's good I quit art class. I'll definitely watch out for this one, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds so great! Loved the review!

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds amazing! I've already added it to my wish list. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...