Saturday, August 20, 2011

Cover Lust (30)

Eight Keys by Suzanne LaFleur
(Wendy Lamb Books / Aug. 23, 2011)

Sometimes I don't have particularly sophisticated demands for a book cover. Sometimes all I want is to enjoy a cover with a nice, straightforward picture. So I kind of like how this one is just a straightforward picture, and yet suggests things in tune with the book's synopsis. Plus, the title design is quite interesting!

Bluefish by Pat Schmatz
(Candlewick Press / Sept. 13, 2011)

Now this one is simple, in a completely different way than Eight Keys' cover, and its simplicity makes it AWESOME. I love the abstract, postmodernist feel of the cover, taking the title at its most literal. The subtle changes in gradations of the blue is insanely smooth and stands out.

Ghost Flower by Michele Jaffe
(Razorbill / April 12, 2012)

I pretty much exclusively like the foreground pattern, and how it weaves among the title and author name. The girlface is pretty stereotypical... but does anyone else think that the foreground design lends perhaps an Eastern feel to this cover? And does anyone else think that they could do more cool things with foreground two-dimensional designs?! (I do!)

Delirium by Lauren Oliver (special edition)
(HarperCollins / Aug. 2, 2011)

Again, I fully admit to occasionally being shallow when it comes to covers. I was rather indifferent towards both the ARC and original hardcover versions of this cover. But this one, with the girl looking straight at you, is like, BAM! -- a factor that neither two previous versions had. There's something deliciously eerie about the blue-green of the plants and font used, too. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it chills me... and I like that just that color does that to me.

Bewitching by Jill Barnett
(Bell Bridge Books e-book / June 6, 2010)

In a completely opposite vein, this cover of Bewitching is so cool, hinting at the magic within the story. I'm a sucker for a well-done silhouette image, and I think this one includes just the right amount of different textures, while maintaining one general theme of silhouettes and yellow-green-blueness.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you on the new cover of Delirium. Something about it is just so haunting, yet gorgeous at the same time. I was at Borders the other day and saw this in hardcover which surprised me since I thought it was the paperback version, so I immediately snatched it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely drawn to the cover of Bewitching! Thanks for bringing it to my attention! I am shallow when it comes to covers too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really interested in seeing how Ghost Flower looks in final print. My favorite of your picks is Bluefish. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...