Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday (115)

Saving June by Hannah Harrington
If she’d waited less than two weeks, she’d be June who died in June. But I guess my sister didn’t consider that.

Harper Scott’s older sister has always been the perfect one so when June takes her own life a week before her high school graduation, sixteen-year-old Harper is devastated. Everyone’s sorry, but no one can explain why.

When her divorcing parents decide to split her sister’s ashes into his-and-her urns, Harper takes matters into her own hands. She’ll steal the ashes and drive cross-country with her best friend, Laney, to the one place June always dreamed of going California.

Enter Jake Tolan. He’s a boy with a bad attitude, a classic-rock obsession and nothing in common with Harper’s sister. But Jake had a connection with June, and when he insists on joining them, Harper’s just desperate enough to let him. With his alternately charming and infuriating demeanour and his belief that music can see you through anything, he might be exactly what she needs.

Except June wasn’t the only one hiding something. Jake’s keeping a secret that has the power to turn Harper’s life upside down again. [summary from Goodreads]
This book escaped my notice for the longest time because, well, mostly of personal preferences. I'm a bit skeptical of books about taking road trips with bad boys with secrets. But the reviews on Goodreads for this book are overwhelmingly positive, and a lot of my Aussie friends who were fortunate enough to read it early are head over heels for it. A contemporary read that I can fall for? Count me in!

Saving June will be published in paperback from Harlequin on November 22, 2011.

9 comments:

  1. Hmm...I must admit, I am intrigued. My first time hearing about this one but it definitely sounds like a potential winner. I know what you mean about the "formula" aspect...after one too many, it can sound like deja vu. This one though...sounds like it might just be different enough. Thanks for sharing..and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good--I hadn't heard of it. Thanks for putting this book on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, thought that it would be yet another book that follows the typical formula, maybe fun to read but nothing special... But it turns out that I really, really enjoyed it. Definitely worth reading, in my opinion.

    http://whatbrireads.blogspot.com/2011/08/review-saving-june.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking forward to reading Saving June for so long now! I was really sad when the release date got pushed back to November because it meant even more waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm adding this to my list! It sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this either, but I think the premise is great! I'll add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seconding what WhatBriReads said. I adored this novel despite its roadtrip + getting-over-grief formula. It's one of my top favorites this August:).

    My review of Saving June

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard great things about it too. But still, be wary of road trips with bad boys that have secrets (IRL). It's never OK to do that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh i so loved this book <3

    can't wait to hear what you think of it (when it comes out your way ;)

    x Nomes

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...