Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday (112)

The List by Siobhan Vivian
An intense look at the rules of high school attraction-and the price that's paid for them.

It happens every year. A list is posted, and one girl from each grade is chosen as the prettiest, and another is chosen as the ugliest. Nobody knows who makes the list. It almost doesn't matter. The damage is done the minute it goes up.

This is the story of eight girls, freshman to senior, "pretty" and "ugly." And it's also the story of how we see ourselves, and how other people see us, and the tangled connection of the two. [summary from Goodreads]
Siobhan Vivian is pretty damn good at writing, and pretty damn good at writing about important and relevant issues such as feminism and the complexities of the "outside gaze" on females. I'm intrigued to see how she takes on this tantalizing premise (because I fully admit that I am interested in reading about people who "judge" and "rank" others).

The List will be published in hardcover by Scholastic in April 2012.

12 comments:

  1. AHH, I love Siobhan Vivian! Not That Kind Of Girl was one of my favorite 2010 reads, and this one sounds just as good. Great pick, Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read anything by Vivian, so I will definitely have to check this out. Unfortunately, we had a list like this one written on the wall of the bathroom at the school I teach. It was horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a new one to me. Thanks for the info. Looks like it has potential.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like just the type of YA I love. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds awesome! I've never heard of it before. *adds to "to-read" list*

    Here's my WOW: http://bit.ly/re4PgY

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds super good. I've heard a lot about Siobhan Vivian's writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really fantastic. It also reminds me I have to go read some Siobhan Vivian right now! Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the spotlight, I'm adding to my TBR-list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very excited for this one! I read Not That Kind of Girl a few weeks ago and LOVED it and I'll be reading her other books soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohh, thanks for sharing! I hadn't heard about this book until now. Adding it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read any of Vivian's work, but this one sounds really intriguing. And despite my normal distaste for people on covers, I really admire the way this one is done. The tone is captured in her expression, and I think we can all relate to how she feels.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...