Friday, August 26, 2011

Review: All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin

Tags: YA, dystopian, organized crime, NYC

Summary

Anya Balanchine, daughter of one of New York’s most famous crime bosses, lives in a world where everything is rationed, coffee and chocolate are illegal, and crime families run a very well-organized black market. Since her father’s murder, Anya wants nothing to do with the “family business,” wanting only to take care of her mentally damaged older brother and younger sister.

But when Anya’s ex-boyfriend is poisoned by her family’s chocolate, Anya must unwillingly come to terms with her birthright—both the good and bad points.

Review

With a cover like that, a premise like that, and the name of one of YA’s most highly awarded authors attached to it, how could one not pick this book up? With her trademark intelligent writing and world-building, Gabrielle Zevin’s dystopian ALL THESE THINGS I’VE DONE should be a hit for those who like their YA dystopias a touch on the literary side. It doesn’t quite hit the mark in terms of characterization, but I still very much enjoyed this novel, and look forward to its sequels.

Anya’s New York is like the present day gone to seed and corruption. Famous landmarks have been transformed into slumming hangouts and holding areas, and prepubescent kids rob people off the street with stolen handguns. The setting is fraught with tensions of all sorts, and Zevin makes great use of it. We keenly feel Anya’s struggle to juggle taking care of her family, standing her ground against her corrupt extended family, developing platonic and romantic relationships, and staying on the right side of the law. It is a testimony to the world’s potential that I couldn’t put this book down, even when the plot trudged along like it had all the time in the world to tell its story.

I had the same problem with ALL THESE THINGS I’VE DONE that I had with Gabrielle Zevin’s other books: that is, I know that Zevin’s writing is wonderful and mature and intelligent, but for some reason, I don’t find myself connecting to the characters as much as feel like I should. For example, while Anya and Win’s relationship is pleasant, it didn’t, I dunno, sweep me off my feet or anything. Anya’s “enemies” are supposed to be sinister and scary, but I didn’t really find myself that indignant or protective on Anya’s behalf.

But I feel like that’s just a “me” thing, because most others I know really like Zevin’s writing. Either way, I enjoyed ALL THESE THINGS I’VE DONE. At times it can feel like a really long setup to the second book, but if you’re anything like me, you’ll be able to enjoy the stellar world-building along the way.

Similar Authors
Holly Black

Cover discussion: Easily one of my favorite covers of the year. It's attractive in a way that doesn't involve flashy dresses or brooding models, but instead with a rich complexity that's hidden from first sight by its appearance of starkness.

Farrar, Straus and Giroux / Sept. 6, 2011 / Hardcover / 368pp. / $16.99

Sent by publisher for review.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review. Can't wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reviewed this myself a couple days ago. The story and Anya I liked the future world that the author created I just couldn't believe in. It was very unrealistic to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt exactly this way about it too, you are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Zevin's books, so I'm so excited for this one! But I'm sorry to hear that you didn't exactly loooove it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you'll want to put a facebook button to your blog. I just bookmarked this blog, however I must do it by hand. Just my $.02 :)

    My blog:
    dsl anbieter vergleich www.dslvergleichdsl.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've loved the other books I've read by Zevin, so I'm really looking forward to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Gabrielle Zevin. I actually hadn't heard of this one yet, so I'm glad I came and read this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The premise and title definitely intrigue me, but I'm a little worried to hear that the characterization falls flat. I might still give it a chance sometime, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is on my To Read list, so I'm glad you liked it!

    Btw, is anyone else reminded of the song "All These Things That I've Done" by The Killers? I start singing it everytime I see the the title!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...