Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday (27)

Flash Burnout by L. K. Madigan

Fifteen-year-old Blake has a girlfriend and a friend who’s a girl. One of them loves him; the other one needs him.

When he snapped a picture of a street person for his photography homework, Blake never dreamed that the woman in the photo was his friend Marissa’s long-lost meth addicted mom. Blake’s participation in the ensuing drama opens up a world of trouble, both for him and for Marissa. He spends the next few months trying to reconcile the conflicting roles of Boyfriend and Friend. His experiences range from the comic (surviving his dad’s birth control talk) to the tragic (a harrowing after-hours visit to the morgue).

In a tangle of life and death, love and loyalty, Blake will emerge with a more sharply defined snapshot of himself.

This book first came to my attention when I saw it on one of Thao's Waiting on Wednesday posts, and I've been waiting for it ever since. The cover is attractive, in an intense, unforgettable way, and the synopsis promises that the book will be interesting, funny, AND poignant. Plus, some respected author acquaintances of mine, like Cindy Pon, have raved about it on Goodreads, making me want it all the more. With the potential and good words as that, what more can you ask for?

Flash Burnout will be published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt on October 19, 2009.

9 comments:

  1. ha it's funny since this just came in the mail wait I shouldn't say that O_O anyway it didn't appeal to me when I first heard it but it grew on me and I'm actually fairly interested in this right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book rocks. I've not read it yet but somehow I know for sure it won't disappoint me. Did you have a chance to request it from Nadya? I want to know what you think of it ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph if you wanna read it I have it (I haven't read it and it may be a while till I do, it's not high ony my tbr list right now although it sounds really good!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this book listed somewhere else a bit ago. It sounds like it might be a really good read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh yeah, I think I first heard about it on Thao's blog too! It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. one of my top five reads this year. you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks really great! Adding it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not read this book, but I would definitely like to. Thank you for the review. I love having knew books to look for!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...