1. Welcome! Tell us about yourself in a few short sentences.
Hello! I'm Natalie Mancino, blogger from Book, Line, and Sinker. By day, I work in a private high school in New Jersey. By night, I'm an avid reader, blogger, and skee-ball player. I've been with my husband since we met as college freshmen waaay back in 1992. It's a blissful life!
2. Tell us about your blog. When did you start it and why? What interesting things can visitors expect?
I started blogging in 2007 but didn't start book blogging until March 2009. I blog about books because surely there's an entire demographic of people dying to read my unsolicited opinion about books and reading! :)
3. As my blog focuses mostly on YA, and my blog readers read mostly YA as well, we want to know: how has young adult literature impacted your life?
I grew up in the mid-80s reading Judy Blume, Lois Duncan, and other authors who paved the way for today's YA market. I still love YA fiction--good writing transcends genres.
4. It certainly does! Name 3 favorite books and why you think everyone should read them.
Well, my list is in constant flux...but today it's:
- The Harry Potter series (everyone needs a little magic!)
- Anything by non-fiction/travel writer Bill Bryson (he can make me laugh until I cry!)
- Pride and Prejudice [by Jane Austen] (Mr. Darcy, be mine!)
5. What would a perfect weekend for you consist of?
A sunny day at the beach, a bag of books, some good Italian food, my husband and crazy, extended family in tow. (I love chaos.)
Megan McCafferty makes me laugh with her spot-on take of life in Jersey, Jen Lancaster's snark never fails to amuse, and Nancy Drew or The Sweet Valley High (or the lesser-know Girls of Canby Hall) books always bring back good feelings from my childhood.
7. Favorite foods?
If my mom is cooking, then it's my favorite! Otherwise, I'll have some Kraft Mac and Cheese.
8. What are some of the best book- and reading-related things that have happened to you since you started your blog?
All of the feedback from and contact with bloggers, authors, and publishers!
9. What are some things you just LOVE to receive for presents? :)
Are books too obvious? :) The best gift I received recently (for my anniversary) was a necklace my husband had made for me. It has two small, hammered gold discs on it. One disc has my name engraved on it, and the other has his name.
10. And finally, what are 2 things about yourself that can spark conversation?
Ummm...I'm grasping to come up with one thing! I have a birthmark in my left eye that causes my blue iris to stretch into the black pupil--giving the pupil a less-than-round appearance and making me a huge hit with my eye doctor. (Apparently it's a rare thing...)
Thanks so much for answering my questions, Nat! If you're looking for thought-provoking blog posts that just beg for you to comment on, be sure to check out her brilliantly named blog, Book Line, and Sinker.