Thursday, November 19, 2009

Review: The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove by Lauren Kate


Tags: YA, popularity, murder, drinking

Rating: 3 out of 5


Summary

High school senior Natalie Hargrove has worked hard to get from trailer trash to a ruling member of Palmetto High School. The culmination of her work should be the much coveted Palmetto Princess crown, alongside her longtime boyfriend, Mike, who should be a shoo-in for Prince. However, one person may stand in her way of couples glory and domination: her least favorite person, Justin Balmer, who is a reminder of all that Natalie has tried to get away from.

After a wild party, Natalie and Mike devise a prank to give Justin a little of what he deserves…except that the prank turns out horribly wrong. Now, Natalie must scramble to cover up their tracks and lay the blame on someone else as everyone she trusts begins slipping away from her. Can Natalie use her considerable scheming prowess to save her reputation and future, or has she crossed the line this time?

Review

THE BETRAYAL OF NATALIE HARGROVE is an unapologetically guilty-pleasure read that will make your insides squirm with half-pleasure, half-horror. With a wonderful voice, tantalizing characters, and a steady plot, this book seems tailor-made for teen girls looking for a fast and furious read.

Natalie reminds me of many bitchy and manipulative queens of high school society. Her voice is spot-on and full of judgment against those who cross her path as well as the constant fear that she will be exposed as a fraud. She is the girl you love to hate, and yet can’t read enough about. Though definitely callous at times, Natalie is also simultaneously the desperate, lost girl struggling to gain footing on a suspicious land. Her actions may be despicable, but she is also wonderfully justified in doing what she did, which is a remarkable achievement on Lauren Kate’s part.

Indeed, I found almost all of the characters fascinating with their complicatedly bad sides. Here, there are no perfect characters, and it’s almost like watching a CW drama, the way you can’t look away from these train wrecks of characters. (On a side note, I believe I also have a bit of a bad-boy crush on Justin.) Nobody really changes much throughout the story, but they are interesting enough that you just might overlook that and focus on the drama itself.

The story slowly unfurls Natalie’s past, as well as what happened between her and Justin. It can be an infuriating process, the way hints are dropped sporadically, unhelpfully. However—and it may be my slightly masochistic side saying this—I found the ending satisfying, in all its shock and, yes, even unexpected sweetness.

THE BETRAYAL OF NATALIE HARGROVE may not be for everyone, but if you’re willing to overlook the fact that all of these characters and the entire situation itself are far from admirable, you’re in for an enjoyable ride.

Similar Authors
Courtney Summers (Cracked Up to Be)
Kate Brian (Private series)
Cecily von Ziegesar (Gossip Girl series)

Writing: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
Plot: 4/5

Overall Rating: 3 out of 5


Razorbill / Nov. 12, 2009 / Paperback / $9.99

49 comments:

  1. This is a great review, and it's made me really look forward to reading this. My copy arrived the other day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way--but since I don't like those kinds of stories, I basically hated the book. (Also the cover creeped me out.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover is rather creepy, but once you said it's a lot like the Private series I immediately perked up! The Private series and It Girl series are my favorite guilty pleasure reads (although I think Private has gone on for too long).
    I think I will read this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review, have been reading mixed thoughts on this novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very descriptive review! Sounds like a nice quick read between some heavier books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a real quick read but I'm not sure I'm interested; I tend to prefer lighter books. Thanks for the review, I'll probably steer clear of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review Steph. I don't really like the book, but I adore Lauren Kate's writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At first, this book didn't interest me, but your review made me think...
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a book I'd enjoy.great review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love characters with bad sides ha ha...makes for a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Natalie sounds like a total b*tch. I love it. :D Great review...as always Steph! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't really like the cover on this one and I think it sounds a little too gossipy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful review! I enjoyed reading it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Review! A added it to my wish-list!:)

    http://fantasysink.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not sure about this one. Good review, but probably not the book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review. Sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think that book will be really interesting))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmmm I'm kind of interested in this Justin character...why the bad boy crush. I so would love to find out by reading it...hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting plot! Would love to read it :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like your review it was fun to read and it has me curious about this book. I also like your review because you go in depth with the whole book.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome review! I was worried whether or not I'd like the characters and plot (since it seems little bit shallow, no offense), but you make it still sound possibly enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  23. you know, i'm usually not into gossipy books about popular girls who get their way, but you make it sound interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great review. This sounds like something that I would like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I had no idea of what Lauren Kate had written before Fallen, but this definitely sounds like a guilty pleasure I would enjoy! The "girls you love to hate" make for perfect entertainment. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It doesn't really sound like my type of book, but who knows? Maybe I'd get to like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm really intrigued by how different this sounds to Fallen, which I really enjoyed. It actually sounds a little like the movie Cruel Intentions, which I loved, so I'm definitely up for reading this one. Great review - I love those 'love to hate' characters!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This sounds very different from Fallen, but very enjoyable all the same. I didn't know this book was out. Thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Didnt Know about this book, looks pretty good. Nice review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I know it's totally ignorant to expect an author to stick to one genre but WOW this sounds different to Fallen. I was on the fence about whether I want to read this book:- it's not really my normal type, but you make it sound like such a good indulgence.

    And, since you rate this book higher than Fallen, I might just give it a try.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I really want to read this. I love the Private series and this definitely does make me think of that. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This book sounds very dark but interesting. I shall add it to my list of books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  33. It sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I noticed that in another post, you mentioned that this book also had a cruelintentions-macbeth twist to it. I definitely want to check it out. I find books that are kind of adapted from Shakespeare or any classic novels are interesting. A modern twist to stories we know and love. :)
    Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Definitely adding it to my huge list of to-reads. Nice review

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm really not conviced that I'm gonna like this book, but that's it. Maybe if I try... I can put this one on my list of to-reads.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great review! Definitely looks like a guilty pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Awesome review! I really like the sound of this book, I'm intrigued about Natalie's past, and the prank that goes wrong. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Awesome review I cant wait to read this book it sounds great;)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks! Your review makes me want to read it!

    aikychien at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  41. at the mention of a guilty-pleasure read, i was hooked!! I love the fact that you explained how the characters are not perfect, yet they are justified in their actions. I also love that you wrote that it was like watching a CW drama because OTH is on the CW!!! and a 3/5 isnt so bad. great review.
    wateva_08 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  42. One of my friends in high school looked exactly like that cover model.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Great review. I've wanted to read this book for awhile now. Looks interesting. Thanks! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  44. justpeachy36@yahoo.com

    This review really made me want to give this book a try. It looks like something I'd be interested in and look forward to reading.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I've been looking forward to reading this one-the cover just looks like a guilty pleasure book.

    I loved your review by the way-you write very thoughtful and informative reviews and I always enjoy reading them!:)

    ReplyDelete
  46. thanks for the review. this is the first time i see the cover and read about the review and know this Author :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Looks like an interesting book, I think I will definitely give it a try. Loved Cruel Intentions & macbeth wasn't too bad either so this should be good... :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...