Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday (40)

Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready


When Aura's boyfriend dies a most untimely death, she is forced to reconsider her relationship with the living and the dead alike. [from Jeri's website]

WICKED GAME and Aspect of Crow trilogy author Jeri Smith-Ready's first teen fiction GENERATION GHOST, following a 16 year-old girl on a quest to uncover why everyone her age and younger can see ghosts — and her struggle to cope with her boyfriend's passing when he haunts her regularly, to Annette Pollert at Simon Pulse, at auction, in a two-book deal, by Ginger Clark at Curtis Brown (World English). [from the Publishers Weekly Dec. 2008 deal announcement]

I provided these two snippets because I think the two of them together provide a better idea of what Shade is going to be about. I have heard nothing but good things about Jeri's adult series, which starts with Wicked Game (which I have on my TBR mountain), so I'm really excited about her debut YA novel! Occasionally you just need a good old-fashioned paranormal ghost story with a twist of doomed romance...

Oh, check out the full jacket wrap image:



What do you guys think? I'm not sure how crazy I am about the way it divides into the front cover, spine, and back cover. I mean, the front cover image looks a little...bland, with hardly any of the model appearing on it. Oh well. I'm in it for the story, anyway!

Shade will be published by Simon Pulse in hardcover on May 18, 2010.

What are you guys waiting on, on this day so close to Thanksgiving??

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good, and I love the look of the cover. I like that the model isn't really seen - it makes it a bit mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pick, This was my pick a few weeks ago.. Can't wait!! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wondering. Does having a teenage main character mean that a book is directed only to teen readers? And don't teen readers often read good literature directed to the widest possible readership? Maybe it is that writing for teens is where we have the greatest freedom as writers. I have just published a novel with teens as the major characters and also the primary intended readership, but written also for the widest possible adult demographic. If you want to know more about Angela 1: Starting Over, just click on my name and follow the link to my web site. Or google my name (with the middle initial) and see my blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. David--A teen protagonist doesn't necessarily mean the book is for a teen audience. Like The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. (Though I'm sure a lot of teens read it and loved it.) But on the other hand, books aimed at a teen audience always have a teen protagonist. (Someone's going to point out something that disproves this, I know it! Redwall. There, I disproved it myself. It's a rule of thumb, then.)

    Good pick Steph, I'm really interested in more ghost stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pick!

    I do like the colors on the front cover. And the ghost-seeing powers sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one sounds interesting. Going to have to add it to my wishlist. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the sound of this one. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm liking the sound of this one. Actually I do like the cover, although I think it'll suit hardback more - and UK YA books tend to be paperbacks so I'm not sure how it'll work here. Yep, I'm in it for the story too... but cover discussion is fun! I didn't realise Jeri Smith-Ready had written an adult series too - I'll look forward to hearing what you think about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the cover, as a full spread. I'll wait to see the finished product before judging how it works wrapped around.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...