Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Cover Lust (22)


Ultraviolet by R. J. Anderson
(Orchard Books / Spring 2011)

The title is Ultraviolet... and so is the cover! This was instant cover lust for me the moment I saw it. It kind of reminds me of the design of Gayle Forman's If I Stay and Where She Went. I love this for the way it plays up the shadows across the girl's face and swishy hair. Swishy hair! My hair didn't even do that when it was that long.


Away (The Line, Book 2) by Teri Hall
(Dial / Sept. 15, 2011)

Wow. I liked The Line's cover a lot, but this one has definitey surpassed the first book's. So intricate, and so representative of what goes on between the first book and the second. The complementary colors stand out so well.


Luminous by Dawn Metcalf
(Dutton / July 7, 2011)

Perhaps it goes slightly overboard in complexity, but I simply love the vivid sharpness of all the colors and details.


The Sky Is Everywhere (paperback) by Jandy Nelson
(Speak / March 22, 2011)

When I first laid eyes on this cover, I gasped out loud. I'm okay with the abstractness of the US hardcover but the cover for this paperback reprint is right up my cover-loving alley: a photograph, with lovely visual texturing. Wowowowow.


Chime by Franny Billingsley
(Dial / March 17, 2011)

Just... Ohmygoodness. Look at the texture. The sepia tone. The model's penetrating stare.


Wood Angel by Erin Bow (UK version of Plain Kate)
Chicken House / March 7, 2011

This cover knocks all the breath out of me, it's that gorgeous. Very different from the uniquely evocative US hardcover, and gorgeous in its own right. I do think the US cover is more representative of the book's story, but I love love love this cover's cool-toned color scheme, and just...how very fragile yet dangerously powerful the girl looks, curled up like that.


Outside In by Maria V. Snyder (UK edition)
Mira Books / March 18, 2011

I like the US cover well enough, but the UK one just knocks it out of the ballpark for me. Who knew that the careful application of warm yellow-gold on an otherwise steel-blue palette could make the cover glisten so well? I think this cover has more of an adult lit feel over YA, which I absolutely don't mind at all, nope. Wowzers.

-

So what do you guys think of these covers? Which are your favorites? What covers have you seen lately that have you spinning in awe?

16 comments:

  1. I do love the Metcalf one, it is just so colorful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these covers are GORGEOUS! I can't wait to read Ultraviolet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I saw that The Sky is Everywhere cover, I knew I was going to have to wait to by it. I love it. The cover for Away is fantastic too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the covers for ULTRAVIOLET and LUMINOUS.

    By the way, have you seen this?

    http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2010/12/26/the-dark-side-of-young-adult-fiction/pure-escapism-for-young-adult-readers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, loving the sky is everywhere and chime. Thanks for posting these covers, really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for posting these gorgeous covers. I'm in cover lust too.
    :)
    All the best,
    RKCharron

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the covers for Away and Outside In.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the covers for Away and Luminous, but I am more a fan of the old cover for The Sky is Everywhere. The new one is gorgeous, but something about the old one resonates more with me. But I completely agree about the cover for Wood Angel - it is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Ultraviolet, Away and Wood Angel. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are beautiful - especially Ultraviolet.

    The Luminous one hurts my eyes a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't you just love pretty covers? All the better when the story matches the outside. And there are so many pretty ones coming out in 2011, it seems. Love your collection!
    Mary
    The Book Swarm

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like Ultraviolet and the paperback for The Sky is Everywhere is really nice too! I actually like it better than the hardcover.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm such a sucker for a good cover! i made a resolution in 2010 to stop selecting books by their covers but that resolution lasted all of 10 minutes! i really like the cover for 'the sky is everywhere' and hope it's as good as it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the Ultraviolet’s cover is so striking! I love as well the Chime's cover, it’s is beautiful, and the Outside in one is so real!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ultraviolet is my WoW this week, and when I first saw it, I almost died. It's STUNNING. Great collection of covers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely. Have you seen the Aussie cover for Outside In? They are both better than the US one, which really isn't all that bad...but the foreign editions stepped it up a notch.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...