Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday (58)

For the Win by Cory Doctorow

In the virtual future, you've got to organize to survive.
At any hour of the day or night, millions of people around the globe are engrossed in multiplayer online games, questing and battling to win virtual gold, jewels, and precious artifacts. Meanwhile, others seek to exploit this vast shadow economy, running electronic sweatshops in the world’s poorest countries, where countless “gold farmers,” bound to their work by abusive contracts and physical threats, harvest virtual treasure for their employers to sell to First World gamers who are willing to spend real money to skip straight to higher-level gameplay.
Mala is a brilliant 15-year-old from rural India whose leadership skills in virtual combat have earned her the title of “General Robotwalla.” In Shenzen, heart of China’s industrial boom, Matthew is defying his former bosses to build his own successful gold-farming team. Leonard, who calls himself Wei-Dong, lives in Southern California, but spends his nights fighting virtual battles alongside his buddies in Asia, a world away. All of these young people, and more, will become entangled with the mysterious young woman called Big Sister Nor, who will use her experience, her knowledge of history, and her connections with real-world organizers to build them into a movement that can challenge the status quo.
The ruthless forces arrayed against them are willing to use any means to protect their power—including blackmail, extortion, infiltration, violence, and even murder. To survive, Big Sister’s people must out-think the system. This will lead them to devise a plan to crash the economy of every virtual world at once—a Ponzi scheme combined with a brilliant hack that ends up being the biggest, funnest game of all.

Is it just me, or does this book sound absolutely amazing? I haven't read his first YA dystopian novel, Little Brother, yet, although I've heard great things about it and it's sitting on my shelf, waiting patiently for me to pay it attention. This one deals with the all-too-real issue of gaming addiction, set in a futuristic, almost dystopian, world. I've never heard anything like it, and so am excited to see how this premise plays out. It sounds extremely promising and exciting!

For the Win will be published in hardcover by Tor Teen on May 11, 2010.

What are YOU waiting for this Wednesday?

7 comments:

  1. For The Win sounds AWESOME!!! It sounds like one of those books that you read in a day. Totally adding this to my list!!Thanks for the WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not just you! This sounds amazing to me too. I haven't read Little Brother yet either, maybe I should fit that one in soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds exciting, will add to my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one sounds even better than "Little Brother" which was, indeed, great. You definitely need to read them both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, great choice! This sounds awesome. For some reason it reminds me of the movie "Spy Kids 3D" where they go inside a video game!

    Emidy
    from Une Parole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this sounds amazing! I agree with Emidy, it does sound vaguely like Spy Kids 3D except waaay more intense! I haven't read any dystopian (that I can remember, I may have read one or two that left a bad impression on me) and this book sounds like it might be confusing but so creative and just an overall WIN!

    I'm adding this to my tbr wishlist.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...