Monday, May 10, 2010

BEA Week Events!

So browsing the Book Expo America website has been my procrastinatory tool for the past several weeks or so. I lose sleep drawing out schedules, finding new things to put on my schedules, and daydreaming about those three days filled with hectic meetings, nerdy book talk, and memories. Wait--make that FOUR days, because the Teen Author Carnival definitely counts as another bookgasm day in itself.

I thought about doing a Google Doc to exchange contact info for meet-ups and stuff, but then I remembered that I am much less socially awkward online (and in words) than I am in person, and would rather more closely know the people with whom I exchange contact info than to throw up a general call for arms that might have the possibility of sending hundreds of people in the direction of my BEA contact form.

So I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I will give you my phone number when we meet face-to-face at the Teen Author Carnival that takes place Monday afternoon. Here's the info:

NYC Teen Author Carnival
Monday, May 24, 2010
5:00 - 8:00 PM

Location:
Jefferson Market Branch Library
425 Avenue of the Americas [at 10th St.]
New York, NY 10011-8454

It's an event you can't miss. If you're attending BEA and will be in NYC that afternoon/evening, I absolutely recommend that you go. That's where I went last year and realized how special the YA lit community is. There will be over 30 authors there (the list is on the TAC website), and those are just the authors who have signed up and whose books will be sold at the event. You can also, for example, start chatting with a random man for ten minutes, only to be told later that the man is, in fact, SCOTT WESTERFELD.

I'm still appalled (in an embarrassed, star-struck way) that I didn't recognize him when we talked. (Though in my defense, I did think he looked familiar.)

Anyway. You get my point. Be there, I'll probably end up randomly talking to you that night, we'll introduce ourselves, realize we know and love each other's blogs, and exchange phone numbers for meet-ups later in the week.

Cool.

(If you're not able to make TAC but would still like to meet up sometime at BEA, feel free to shoot me an email! stephxsu at gmail dot com)

I also want to share with you an email I received about author signing events taking place at Books of Wonder the entire week that BEA is occurring. Again, if you're in town, don't forget to stop by at least one of these events to hear these fabulous authors talk!


When: New York Book Week --- the week of BOOK EXPO 
Who:  Amazing line-up of authors
Where: Books of Wonder, 18 West 18th Street, Manhattan
Phone: 212-989-3270.


Sunday, May 23nd
4:00-6:00 pm

The Clock Without a Face – A Mystery to Solve, A Treasure to Find!
MAC BARNETT                      The Clock Without a Face (McSweeney’s)
ELI HOROWITZ                      The Clock Without a Face (McSweeney’s)
SCOTT TEPLIN                      The Clock Without a Face (McSweeney’s)


Tuesday, May 25th
6:00-8:00 pm

MEET THE CLASS OF 2K10 – 13 debut young adult and middle grade authors
SWATI AVASHTI                    Split (Random)
ALEXANDRA DIAZ                  Of All the Stupid Things (Egmont)
JERI SMITH-READY               Shade (S&S)
JENNIFER R. HUBBARD         The Secret Year  (Penguin)
KITTY KESWICK                    Freaksville  (LeapBooks)
JUDITH GRAVES                    Under My Skin  (LeapBooks)
JANET FOX                            Faithful  (Penguin)
BONNIE J DOERR                  Island Sting  (LeapBooks)
JAME RICHARDS                   Three Rivers Rising  (Random)
SHARI MAURER                     Change of Heart  (Westside Books)
LEAH CYPESS                       Mistwood  (Harper)
IRENE LATHAM                      Leaving Gee's Bend  (Penguin)
RHONDA HAYTER                  The Witchie Worries of Abbie Adams (Penguin)
SHANNON DELANY                13 to Life (St. Martins)
ERICA PERL                           Vintage Veronica (Random)


Wednesday, May 26th
6:00-8:00 pm


SUSPENSE, MAGIC, AND ROMANCE FOR TEENS AND TWEENS   
CHARLIE HIGGSON                 The Enemy (Hyperion)
CORY DOCTOROW                  For the Win (Tor)
GENNIFER CHOLDENKO         Al Capone Shines My Shoes (Penguin)
STEPHANIE KUEHNERT          Ballads of Suburbaia (S&S)
MELISSA WALKER                  Lovestruck Summer (HarperCollins)
LINDA GERBER                       Death by Denim (Penguin)
JESSICA BURKHART               Rival Revenge (S&S)
ERICA KIROV                          Magickeepers: The Eternal Hourglass (Sourcebooks)
ADELE GRIFFIN                       Picture the Dead (Sourcebooks)
LISA BROWN                           Picture the Dead (Sourcebooks)
MARISSA MOSS                     The Pharaoh’s Secret (Abrams)

Thursday, May 27th
6:00-8:00 pm

WIZARD OF OZ COMIC
ERIC SHANOWER                    Wizard of Oz Comic (Marvel Comics)
SKOTTIE YOUNG                     Wizard of Oz Comic (Marvel Comics)

14 comments:

  1. Gah, I wish I lived in the US. I would love, love, love to go to BEA--it sounds to good to be real! I guess I would just love to go to NYC!! Have lots and lots of fun!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this whole BEA stuff is going to send me insane in the membrane. I am already suffering epic proportions of jealousy which will tail into something uncontrollable as the event gets close and closer. But I am so thrilled in the non jealous way for everyone that gets the chance to go, it does sound like an amazing event. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally and completely jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheesh, I soooo wish I could go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *cough*Sunday is the 23rd*cough*

    And you'll be at TAC too?? ME TOO! Oh, StephSu I have to meet you!! Maybe we can also have a meal or beverage together as well whist in the Big Apple?

    I'm going to TAC, and then BEA, I think I am tagging along sightseeing with some people on Tuesday, stalking authors on Wed/Thurs day and having dinner with friends (and you?) Weds. night and then I have friday free as a bird until dinner. :)

    Email me if you want! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a nice conversation with someone named "Maureen" for a good ten minutes once. It was a week later that I realized it was Maureen Johnson. :fail:

    I have BEA jealousy! I wish I could go but I have family festivities planned for the following weekend I need to be home for. I hope you have a FANTASTIC time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm planning on attending the Teen Lit Carnival as well, so I will see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, this is making me so excited. I have yet to make a real schedule for my week, but I cannot wait! :)

    Hope we get to meet, I'll be at TAC and BEA all week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG Steph, you're going to BEA?! You're going to have an amazing time - can't wait to hear all about it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’ve enjoyed looking over your blog. I came across it through another blog I follow, and I’m glad I did. I am now a follower of yours as well. Feel free to look over my blog and perhaps become one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. REALLY wish I could go! Can't wait until the BEA/NYC reports!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What would we do without you!?!?

    I would like to meet you =] I will be the girl with the lost look on her eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WHY must I live in Australia?! I so insanely wish I could attend. Wow. This sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey!!!!

    I saw your comment on my post and yes, I will be @ both TAC & BEA again!! Can't wait to see you again! it's been an insane year for me (lots of changes & new school to get used to) so I'm hoping this summer will give me time to transition back into the world of books & reviews & amazing bloggers!!
    I'm really excited for both events & to see you all again!!

    see you then
    -- Dominique

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...