Thursday, May 6, 2010

Cover Lust (14)

Lots of 'em this time... cuz I couldn't resist. :)


The Poison Throne (The Moorehawke Trilogy, Book 1) by Celine Kiernan
(Orbit / April 7, 2010)

This might be just me, but I've noticed that nearly every book that has the word "poison" in its title has a fantastic premise and cover. There is something about what "poison" implies, I think: danger, seduction, betrayal, romance. Swoon! Swoony swoony swoon. Doesn't this cover look so kickass? I love the model's stance (also love that she isn't boringly or passively pretty), the green, the title font... and oh yeah, did you catch a look at the tagline? This is one book I'd totally pick up on a whim.


(Dutton Juvenile / May 13, 2010)

This is so country/small town. And I LOOOVE country/small town. The lighting is slightly desaturated and thus gives off a relaxed vibe. I love the model's sloppy-but-still-together outfit and her nonchalant posture. I also think that the little translucent details on the left side are a nice little touch. A must-own!


The Other Countess by Eve Edwards
(Puffin / July 1, 2010)

You can totally tell that it's historical fiction because it's so lavish, so lovingly textured. What kind of impression are we contemporaries making with our sloppy clothes, huh? This makes me half wish I were born in another century.


Crescendo (Hush, Hush, Book 2) by Becca Fitzpatrick
(Simon & Schuster / Nov. 16, 2010)

Well, probably most people have seen this already. I didn't think the cover of Hush, Hush could be topped, and while I still like the first more, this one comes really close! The two of them together would make for a great pair.


The Iron Daughter (Iron Fey, Book 2) by Julie Kagawa
(Harlequin Teen / Aug. 1, 2010)

I didn't quite like the cover for The Iron King, with its model facing forward, but somehow I like this one a whole lot more. Again, the designs around the face are well done and indicative of the scarily tangled (both literally and metaphorically) world in which they fey exist. And by the way, did I tell you that I finished The Iron King last night and CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT IT? And how it was one of the most fun and most wonderful faery books I have read in maybe ever? But now is not the time for my review. That comes laterrr... :)


Picture Perfect by D. Anne Love
(McElderry / Oct. 19, 2010)

So. Cool. The lighting. The way the silhouette bugs carve into the image. The placement of the title and author's name.

 

Butterfly by Sonya Hartnett
(Candlewick / Aug. 2010)

The left is the US hardcover, and the right is... I'm not quite sure. Maybe the UK or Aussie cover? They're so different, but I love them both. I like the lighting and the magical feeling of the butterfly on the left, but the one on the right reminds me a lot of the paperback cover for Cecelia Galante's The Patron Saint of Butterflies, which also has grass, that type of font, and just a very attractively relaxed feel. Which one do you prefer more?


Solace of the Road by Siobhan Dowd
(David Fickling Books / Feb. 2009)

I'm fairly certain this is the UK cover for this book. I like it a lot more than the US one, because this one is a wonderful balance of flirtacious and whimsical. I don't usually like pink on a cover, but I think this cover uses it just right: not too much, not too little.

15 comments:

  1. The cover for The Other Countess caught my eye! I'd heard nothing about that book previously, but now it's going on my "to-read" list! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, this is like Cover Lust: the UK edition! Love it! And all the covers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jenny this is like UK cover lust. And yes, Solace of the Road is the UK cover, and it looks just as pretty in person. I actually just got The Other Countess and the cover is just divine!! Makes me proud of our lovely UK publishing houses working hard making lovely dovely covers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I'm so excited for Someone Everybody Listens To -- loooooove Suzanne Supplee! That cover is awesome. And I'm with you: adore Solace Of The Road, though that title seems strange and ill-fitting for the cover? All the same, loving that skirt/dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love LOVE Picture Perfect! That's an awesome cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, these are all completely beautiful! I'm not a fan of the Crescendo cover, though. Wonderful picks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all these so much! The first one really stayed with me, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are all beautiful. I agree with you on the Iron Daughter cover and Solace of the Road is gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been known to buy a book or two because of its cover! All of these look fabulous. Good eye! I will look into them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the first cover and the Picture Perfect cover. Covers these days are so creative and unique. You look back on covers a few decades ago and they're all so boring compared to what we have now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm very very excited for Somebody Everybody Listens To! Looks very good. =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the lighting on the Picture Perfect cover, it's just lovely. I also have that Solace of The Road cover and it's one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Picture Perfect has a great cover! This is the first time I've seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely covers! This is the first time that I've seen The Other Countess and Picture Perfect and they both look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can I suggest a future cover lust? I picked up this book a while ago from the library based solely on the cover and title alone. It was a reprinting of the original old one,and it's so good. The book is called The Mark of the Horse Lord by Rosemary Sutcliff. I enjoyed reading it, but it was super sad at the end.
    Check out the cover on Amazon!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...