Friday, December 10, 2010

Friday Featured Blogger (28): April of Good Books and Good Wine!

April of Good Books and Good Wine is a powerhouse of a blogger. Always insightful, passionate, and entertaining, her blog posts and reviews are ones I always look forward to reading. She was also one of the first non-POC bloggers whom I got to know who was passionate about reading books featuring people of color and spreading the word about those books. I am honored to have her on my blog today. Welcome, April, to Steph Su Reads!

1. Tell us about yourself in a few short sentences.

What up ya'll? My name is April, I am from upstate NY. I enjoy bad reality TV (think Rock of Love and Flavor of Love), playing card games in the vein of Phase 10 and Apples to Apples, and of course READING.

2. Tell us about your blog. When did you start it and why? Where did the name come from? What interesting things can visitors expect?

I started my blog in July of 2009. Prior to blogging I was hugely active on Goodreads. I had become close to several people on Goodreads. Kristen of Bookworming In The 21st Century was one of those people. She had posted a link to her blog one day. I checked it out, and was like, hey this is awesome and looks like something I could do. The rest, as they say, is history.

The name Good Books & Good Wine is fairly easy to puzzle out. I thought of the two things I love the most in the world -- books and wine, and thus the name was born. Also, I didn't want to have a name which someone else had, and so after doing some research saw that Books & Wine would be the perfect identity for me.

When visitors stop by my blog they can expect honesty. I am straight up. I'm not going to pretend to like a book because I want to get in good with publishers. They can expect humor, I try to be funny. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I make a ton of videos (and am asking for a FlipCam for Christmas). My IMMs are usually videos, as is this feature/meme I started called Shopping My Shelves. I've also made videos for Banned Books Week.

3. Would you be able to survive without internet?

No way. I use the internet for everything. It's how I talk to my college alumni friends. It's how I get in contact with family. It's how I conduct research on the TV shows I watch (i.e. I looked up Liz Lemon on wikipedia to see if she hooked up with Jack, seriously). Without the internets I would not have Netflix or book blogs or twitter, and that, my friend, is an empty life. Judge away, I'm not going to pretend I am not addicted.

4. Name 3 favorite books and why you think everyone should read them.

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Allison of The Allure of Books recommended/pushed The Name of the Wind on me, and it was love. I love this book because it combines swears, magic, and college. Plus Kvothe is so swoonworthy for a ginger. And THE WRITING. It knocks my socks off.

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norman Juster. I love this book so hard. Read this book and you will appreciate the wonderful world around you. You will appreciate just how cool wordplay is. Or see that maybe math isn't quite so lame after all. You'll see that you don't always have to be bored and the next adventure is just over the horizon.

The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay. I've re-read this book probably three times. It's about this kid who grows up in apartheid South Africa. He learns to stand up for himself against those who seek to keep him down. He becomes a boxer. Read this book if you want your inner-strength affirmed.

5. What is your animal kingdom alter ego? (i.e. What type of animal would you be if you were an animal?)

Straight-up a lion, as I'm fierce and refuse to let anyone mess with me.

6. What is one quote that you try to always live by?

'Do I dare disturb the universe?' - T.S. Eliot. I love love love this quote and T.S. Eliot. I mean think about it, do you want to just be a lump throughout life or will you go out there and make an impact? And you can 'disturb the universe' in simple ways, like offering kindness to someone who is down on their luck, or standing up for someone whose being bullied. Or by championing an under-hyped book. It's so simple.

7. Is there a story behind your name, April?

Yes. You see, I'm wasn't born in the month of April. I was born in July. However, my parents couldn't agree on a name for me. At first they were going to name me Linda Rose for some dead relatives or something weird like that, but then they were like, nope want her own legacy. And so, they decided they liked the name April, and there you have it.

8. If you had the chance to recommend some YA books to President Obama and Oprah, neither of whom seem to read enough YA, which ones would you tell them to check out?

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - for its imagery and voice
Looking for Alaska by John Green - for it's style and portrayal of teens
The Absolutely True Diary of A Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie - for the realistic look at impoverished Indian teenagers and because in the pain it presents there is some laughter (I know that sounds a bit awkward, but just read it)
Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly -granted this is new and just came out, but the teens in this book aren't vapid happy sunshine teens. They deal with real problems, and Andi, the main character is dealing with some serious business. I think adults should read this to see that teens don't have it easy. They suffer just as much as adults, and are deserving of kindness, not judgement.

9. What are some things you just LOVE to receive for presents? :)

Cash. Books -- especially graphic novels. Electronics. Candy. Jewelry.

10. And finally, tell us two interesting things about yourself that can spark conversation.

I played the triangle when I was in marching band because I wasn't quite good enough to play any other instrument, but still really wanted to be in band.

I've seen every single episode of Rock of Love multiple times. I just can't get enough of Bret Mike.

-

Thanks, April, for stopping by today! Be sure to check out her blog for loads more of her straight-up, admirable dose of honesty.

10 comments:

  1. Yay! Getting to know more about April is awesome because this just confirmed what I already know from reading her blog...the girl is COOL. Love the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay!i love april's blog, thanks for the lovely intervirw, you two :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Steph, thanks for featuring April! I love her blog because I think her personality shines forth in her reviews - she's such a lively person. :) I think it's great that she transferred her blog to WordPress just so she can reply to comments individually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've known April since like 2008-ish when I started using Goodreads and now through blogging!! She is one of my favorite people and I love her for her honesty and how truly kind she is! BEA is going to be epic!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. BRET MIKE!!! Don't threaten me with a good time.

    April is awesome and I'm so glad to see her as a FFB. She is fierce. FIERCE. Also, the triangle is a totally respectable instrument. It takes rhythm. If you don't have rhythm, it's all wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! This is a VERY illuminating interview. I'm afraid I've never had the opportunity to watch Bret Michael's show...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh I could watch marathons of Rock Of Love!! :) I've never met an April who wasn't born in April, lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous to see you featuring April because she is one amazing blogger. Love that T.S Eliot quote, and the fact she likens herself to a lion: fierce is a great quality to have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for featuring me as Friday Featured Blogger!

    This was a ton of fun.

    ALSO I am loving the Rock Of Love LOVE going on in the comments :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. April I knew I loved your blog for a reason!! THE NAME OF THE WIND & THE POWER OF ONE are two of my favs too!! Must try out THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH tho. Sounds excellent.

    Wonderful feature Steph Su!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...