Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday (11)

Ash by Malinda Lo

Pushed into indentured servitude for her stepmother in the City to pay off her father’s debts, Ash is consumed with grief. She misses her family and her happy life at the edge of the Wood where old magic used to linger in the air like fairy breath. Her only joy comes from the brief, stolen walks in the woods with the dark and dangerous fairy Sidhean. Ash’s single, unspoken hope is that someday he might steal her away, as fairies are said to do.

But on the day that Ash meets Kaisa, the King’s Huntress, her heart begins to change. Instead of chasing fairies, from Kaisa she learns the art of the hunt, how to ride and track. Their friendship is as delicate as a new bloom, but it grows and changes, and with it, Ash reawakens her capacity for love—and her desire to live.

Entrancing and romantic,
Ash is an empowering retelling of Cinderella about choosing life and love over solitude and death, where transformation can come from even the deepest grief.

I first saw the cover of this book on Michelle Zink's blog and was immediately attracted. Ash is a lesbian retelling of the classic Cinderella story by an Asian American female author. And right in that sentence are a TON of reasons why I look forward to reading this book. It's familiar yet strange at the same time, with the simultaneous comfort of new romance and the daring and not-enough-publicized GLBTQ perspective. (And oh dear, looking at that last sentence you'd think that I had already read the book and was in charge of writing the blurb for the back of the book. But I haven't read it, and I'm not that person, I swear! I'm not that lucky, haha.) Oh, and it's written by an Asian American woman. Strike one more for the growing AA writing community! :)

Malinda is also an established columnist for AfterEllen, and if you're interested (during your wait for Ash) you might want to check out her article about bisexuality. It's well-written and poignant.

Ash will be published by Little, Brown on September 1, 2009.

11 comments:

  1. Eek, I'm dying to read this one. It sounds amazing. And the cover is purty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds interesting. Thanks for pointing it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this cover a while ago and it caught my eye. After reading this I know that I will definitely have to look into this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has a beautiful cover and I can't wait to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the Waiting on Wednesday mention! And I'm really happy to have found your blog, too. :) You have some great stuff here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like such a great book! I love the cover too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good one! *Takes note*
    I love love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so good and the cover is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds completely wonderful!! Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I like the twist on an old classic :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, great choice. I'd seen this cover, but didn't what the book was about. It is going on my WL for sure now!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...