Thursday, April 23, 2009

Review: Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon

Publication date: April 28, 2009

Tags: YA, middle grade, fantasy, demons, evil

Rating: 3 out of 5

Summary

Ai Ling has always led a straightforward life, but that all changes when first her betrothal is broken off because she’s “unacceptable” and then her father does not return from a trip to the Palace of Fragrant Dreams. Determined not to stay at home and worry like a good female, Ai Ling sets off to the Palace to find out what happened to her father.

Along the way she meets Chen Yong, a half-foreign young man who is also on the way to the Palace. Not all the company Ai Ling happens upon are as good as him, though; in fact, Ai Ling and Chen Yong find themselves repeatedly engaged in battles with fierce demons that neither of them had ever believed existed. It seems as if Ai Ling is not the ordinary girl she thinks she is, and that something is definitely trying to prevent her from achieving her goal. Armed with her friends, the Immortals’ help, and the power of her legacy, however, Ai Ling just might be able to overthrow the dark forces at work and succeed.

Review

SILVER PHOENIX is first and foremost a nonstop tale of fantastical adventure. Demons and mythical places pop out of the pages nonstop, and so there is an almost constant stream of butt-kicking, done by an extremely appealing heroine. Ai Ling is an enviable protagonist, with her neverending arsenal of abilities. Even with all the unwanted problems that destiny has placed upon her shoulders, she forges on, not relying on others to do what she needs to get done.

The heavy reliance on evil creatures to move the plot along, however, is also what disappointed me about the story. The strength of the book lies in the imagined details, but not in the overarching story line. Characters fall flat in the face of such physical adversaries; almost all of the challenges that Ai Ling and Chen Yong face can be overcome with physical actions, leaving very little psychology and mental study in the story.

Despite the distance I felt from the characters, however, I know that SILVER PHOENIX will appeal to the tomboy who wants a different heroine and setting than the norm.

Similar Authors
Kristin Cashore (Graceling)
Tamora Pierce

Writing: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
Plot: 3/5

Overall Rating: 3 out of 5

Cover discussion: 4.5 out of 5 - Can we say WOW. I have to admit that I was first attracted by the cover, and then the premise. Points for having gorgeous colors, a variety of textures, and an Asian model. Points OFF for making this, uh, slightly disturbing in an Asian fetish-y kind of way. This was definitely not how I pictured Ai Ling as I read the book, and I'm glad.

15 comments:

  1. I am very excited about this book...can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for reading and reviewing, steph! looks like you read some greenwillow books! and altho the outfit isn't what i had envisioned, ai ling is exactly as i pictured her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know...we've been having the same ratings for the same books recently :P and yessssss agree!

    cover--love your comment about asian fetish, not sure if I agree but made me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been splashed! Come pick up your award!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the cover but I agree with you about the Asian fetish thing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm curious as to what makes it look fetishist?? it honestly never crossed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, good question, Cindy! I think it's the outfit. The pink is definitely beautiful (and I can definitely remember wanting an outfit like that when I was younger!), but I felt like Ai Ling never would've actually worn that on her journey. She would need something tougher, and the pink just looks too delicate, too "dressy" for that. Sometimes it seems more to me like the stereotypical image of an "Oriental" woman, instead of the actual Ai Ling.

    But still, I think it's gorgeous. ^_^ And you can definitely see Ai Ling's height and strength from the model. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the cover design, and am a big fan of Chinese/Japanese myth and folklore--will definitely check out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This reminds me a bit of Eon Dragoneye Reborn. All the more reason to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks, steph! so more so the outfit, i see. i agree it isn't a journey outfit. (and we had taken fotos of those as well!) should be interesting to see what the sequel cover will look like! =D

    and thanks to everyone who commented!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought the scene with the one armed people as well as the final showdown were both very much a psychologcial and mental challenge. Probably why I liked these scenes the best. I agree that the slashing of demons with swords and daggers was less compelling, but the situations felt fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to read this book. I kinda feel connected because the main character is Asian.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh yes, Lenore, you're right. I did enjoy the one-armed people encounter a lot. And now, thanks to your help, I think I know why! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. lenore--i love my ultimate baddie. =)

    steph--YES. a sequel. or a presequel. rather diff than the first book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello all
    order ambien
    Ambien - Wipe away insomnia
    Order Ambien (Zolpidem) drugs at reputable online pharmacy and save money. No hidden fees!
    [url=http://www.indianastallionstation.com/]order ambien[/url]
    Ambien - Wipe away insomnia
    Order Ambien (Zolpidem) drugs at reputable online pharmacy and save money. No hidden fees!
    http://www.indianastallionstation.com/ - purchase ambien

    The most generally observed adverse events associated with the use of Ambien CR were headache (19%), somnolence (15%), and dizziness (12%) during treatment with Ambien CR at daily doses of up to 12.5 mg for 3 weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...