Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday (16)

Troy High by Shana Norris

From Amazon.com:

Homer’s Iliad, the classic tale of love and revenge, is shrewdly retold for teens in Troy High.

Narrated by Cassie, a shy outsider who fears that an epic high school rivalry is about to go up in flames, the story follows the Trojans and Spartans as they declare war on the football field. After the beautiful Elena—who used to be the captain of the Spartan cheerleaders—transfers to Troy High and falls madly in love with Cassie’s brother Perry, the Spartans vow that the annual homecoming game will never be forgotten.

The Trojans and Spartans pull wicked pranks on each other as homecoming approaches. And the Spartans’ wildcard football star, Ackley, promises to take down the Trojans’ offensive line. But the stakes are raised when Cassie is forced to choose between the boy she loves (a Spartan) and loyalty to her family and school. Troy High will seduce readers with its incendiary cast of mythic proportions.

I'm not such a fan of stories about high school rivalries, but I AM always interested in retellings, and I look forward to seeing how this one will turn out. The story of Helen and the Trojan War is especially significant to me because my dad used to tell me those stories for bedtime--in Mandarin Chinese, no less. And other Greek myth retellings that I've read were pretty good. So yeah!

....Even though I'm a huge UN-fan of the cover. Giant pouty, glamorized cheerleader on the front of a book? No thanks.

Troy High will be published by Amulet Books on August 1, 2009.

11 comments:

  1. I love stories like this too. High school "wars" rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover would make me turn away, but the story sounds great

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was one of the books that got stolen off the top of my BEA shipping box *cries*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph I am giving away a copy of this book on my blog in July! :) I am just about to review it and I am so excited too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a really good book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, the whole play-on on the Trojan war and everything sounds really intriguing! I'll admit - the cover is kind of "oh, another high school rivalry book", but the synopsis has got me intriged ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds fun, and I agree with you about the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so cool--I love the mythical twist! Cool cover, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice pick. I really want to read this one as well...the cover is okay, but i'm not a HUGE fan. it makes it seem like a lot of other books, so not entirely unique.

    oh well, i think it'll be a good story.

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...