Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday (69)

The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge
(Iron Codex, Book 1)

A series set in a Lovecraftian industrial city in an alternate 1950s that centers on a mechanically gifted young girl approaching her 16th birthday, the age at which everyone in her family goes insane, leaving it up to her to unravel the mystery of their madness--and save the world.
It is 1955...but not the 1955 you know. The Witchcraft Scare polarizes America. Magic is outlawed and practitioners are burned. And one girls has discovered that magic is neither fiction nor fairy tale, but very much alive...
Aoife Grayson is a month shy of sixteen, the age when everyone in her family goes mad. An orphan in the steam-powered city of Lovecraft, Massachusetts, Aoife escapes the confines of her repressive boarding school and along with her best friend Sam and outlaw guide Dean, sets out to discover the secret of her family's madness. What she discovers is a world of forbidden magic and faerie curses, and a dark secret that has shadowed the Grayson family for generations. Aoife must choose between keeping the secret or keeping her sanity, and unravel the dark machinations of the Winter Court of the Fae before it's too late to save her city...or herself. [summary from Goodreads]

There are certain words that seem to invoke a sort of hypnotic magic over synopses. "Iron" seems to be one of them. (Iron King and Iron Daughter, anyone?) This one sounds amazing. A dash of steampunk, a dash of magic, a whole lotta suspense and danger. I hope this one lives up to its potential! I always get so worried when the summary sounds so fascinating...

Oh, wait, I just enlarged the cover, and Richelle Mead blurbed it. I am done for.

Unfortunately, this one's a long wait. The Iron Thorn will be published in hardcover by Delacorte Books on February 22, 2011.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting choice for this week. I didn't pay much attention to this book at first, now that I do, it sounds very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on this one. I just added to my goodreads list. Sounds SO good and the cover is breath taking! At least I think so. Good choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pick! I am waiting on this one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steampunk + magic = LOVE. Can't wait for this one; great pick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this sounds so unique--the combination of so many different fantasy elements and set in the 50s?

    Thanks for WoWing this one, I hadn't noticed it before. It sounds so awesome though XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steampunk(ish?) waaant.

    The cover is intriguing too, even though I go back and forth between loving and disliking it. The girl's face looks so fake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well sounds quite interesting. I was looking for a new book as the one I am reading right now is about to finish. I think this one will be a good choice. so looking forward to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...