Monday, June 7, 2010

This Summer on Steph Su Reads

June, I think, really officially marks the start of summer, which means it's time for... summer goals in reading, writing, and blogging! I don't usually set concrete goals, much in the same way I never make New Year's resolutions, but I think it wouldn't hurt to share with you some of what I'm hoping to accomplish in book-related stuff this summer:

Originally I was going to do a month-long reading "theme" for each month of summer ("theme" is in quotes because I am hardly hardcore about it, what with my wildly fluctuating reading tastes and moods), kind of like how March/April was "catch up on review books" month and May was POC month. I hardly have coordinating posts like reviews, interviews, or whatnot, but I did manage to read a decent number of POC books from my review pile (interspersed between books with May pub dates, of course). You'll see some of those books' reviews coming up later this month.

For the summer--which is only June and July for me, as I'll be out of the country (hopefully) for a decent part of August--I'm going to be reading a combination of my BEA books (sooo many of them!) as well as my giant shelf full of mass market paperbacks. (So that means a LOT of urban fantasy, fantasy, steampunk, and romance, whoooo!) There is a ridiculous amount of them (maybe I'll show you a picture some other time), and they all sound so good and I've been dying for the chance to tackle them when I have more time to read and don't feel guilty about picking a TBR-pile book up in place of a review book. I've already read a handful of my MMPBs that I enjoyed greatly--Glass Houses by Rachel Caine, Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews, Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah Maclean (this one kept me up until 4 in the morning last night, darnit!)--as well as weeded out some that I started but couldn't get into. Hooray for weeding! And hooray for reading incredibly addicting books!

Bloggiesta is this weekend, and I think I might actually try to participate. I'm not good at marathon-anythings, especially as, with any luck, I will either be going to the beach or hiking on Saturday, but there's a bunch of stuff I would love to do for my blog, and since this weekend is designated Bloggiesta, I figured, why not? That way I can catch up on reviews, write up some posts that have been tossing and turning in my head for months...etc. I think it should be fun and productive!

As for writing... oh man. I need to get back on that ship. I haven't written since the weekend before BEA--I've just been so busy, busy, busy with organizing, moving, cleaning, sleeping, watch movies (heh). I feel REALLY guilty about it and so am determined to start writing again TONIGHT. I hate making writing goals (cuz I never achieve them, and then I hate myself), buuuut perhaps that's the best way to do it? I know Jennifer Echols always has, like, monthly writing goals going on her blog, so maybe... 20,000 words is not an unrealistic goal by the end of June? That would bring me up to 70,000 words in my WIP, 70,000 killer words that will mostly have to be discarded because I still have to figure out where the heck my story is going (or, uh, how it's starting. Sigh). But! It will happen! Would anyone like to join me in kicking our writing butts in gear this summer? Nothing too serious, but I could do with a Word War every once in a while, or a "hey how ya doing WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU HAVEN'T WRITTEN FOR THREE DAYS" kind of email. Yeah. Let me know, lol.

[ETA] TOTALLY forgot to put this really important one in! Well, I don't keep ARCs. So all summer long then I will be hosting giveaways for the many BEA ARCs that I will be hopefully reading and then passing on to you guys! How do you like that? I always like sharing the love. So stick around over the summer for chances to win fabulous and highly desired books--one should be just around the corner!

Well, that should about cover things for now! What about you guys? Do you have any goals related to reading, writing, or blogging for the summer? Any particular reading "themes" you want to work on over the summer? Any flailing WIPs that you really need to kick into obedience and, uh, productivity?

18 comments:

  1. Haha my problem with writing is sticking to a story...I start it, write five chapters, then think of an idea I like better. *sigh*
    Anyway, have fun this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking short breaks from writing gives me time to dream up new ideas. Maybe your break will do that for you. Oh, and all those books to read, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been seeing a lot of posts about Bloggiesta but I don't know what it is. Can you let me know? It sounds like something I'd like to participate in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *psst* You could come and join my virtual writing summer camp to help with your goals... ;)

    http://kaz-mahoney.livejournal.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you do the writing thing, then I'd love to be a part of it. Maybe I'll read some TBR books too this summer....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could totally use someone to kick my butt when I slack on my WIP. I set a goal to write 1-3k a day and I didn't do ANY for the whole weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like tons of fun reading this summer! And, um, my reading goals... none really. I like to let loose during the summer, which basically means buy and consume as many books as humanly possible. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how your TBR pile is different from your review pile, lol. It's all the same for me, except for the occasional library book, but usually those get reviewed too. :P

    I just started on a story after like 2+ years of not doing any writing. So if you did some sort of Word War thing, I'd love to be a part of it.

    I'm also participating in Bloggiesta too- already have my post set up for it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's the first day of summer vacation for me today and I am doing my happy dance atm. Woot :) And this post makes me want to plan out everything so I use my time wisely, haha :)

    I'm also looking forward to reading an insane amount in the next few months, but in reality I have only about 2 weeks of interrupted reading time as I'll be out of town for the rest. But I so need to read about a million YA & MG books that I've meaning to read & review forever plus a bunch of literature. (Need to get to Hemmingway & Faulkner & Vonnegut, at least, for the first time.)

    And maybe I should participate in bloggiesta--it sounds sounds very productive.

    Alsoalsoalso I am so with you on the writing. Haven't written a sizable amount for months, le sigh. But I hope you are amazingly productive with the writing over the summer. I am hoping to churn out a complete (albeit crappy) 1st draft by the time school starts. We'll see...:p

    ...whoa, long comment! Happy Summer though :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, looks like you're going to have a productive summer. Anyway, I don't really have any plans except to join Bloggiesta. It's my first time to join, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your idea for a writing goal for June. I really would like to write more but I also have loads of other hobbies I love doing. Your post did give me a good idea though - devote a week to each hobby per month. Week one is for writing, week two for sewing, week three for beading...something like that.

    Another goal for me is to get my blog started up. I just started a few days ago. My first review includes a shout-out to you. I put up a review for Swim the Fly which I read based on your review of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, nothing like the summer where you can kick back, relax, and READ! :)
    Love, Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really looking forward to all your BEA reviews :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh, I need to get my writing butt in gear, that's for sure. I'm totally not writing and I totally want to be and I am so mad at myself. Although I'm torn between two new ideas right now... my fantasy novel idea or my verse novel idea?! Meh.

    Oh, and BEA ARC giveaways? Super exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with you on the writing! I set a modest goal for myself, which is to write two pages every day of the summer. So far I have every day except yesterday. Maybe I will do four today to make up for it...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your summer sounds divine! Where are you headed on your travels?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck with your summer! I'll be cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mass market paperbacks are good for the summer -- small and easy to read, plus if something happens to them it's not the end of the world. I'm hoping to do Bloggiesta this weekend, as well.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...