Monday, January 31, 2011

Review: The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa

The Iron Fey, Book 2 (The Iron King review)

Tags: YA, fantasy, faeries, war, love triangle

Summary

Half-faery, half-human Meghan Chase made a bargain with the Unseelie prince, Ash: he helps her rescue her brother from the clutches of the evil Iron Fey, and she would go willingly to the Unseelie court. Now, Meghan is trapped in a world of ice and cold; she cannot access her magic powers; Ash has seemingly deserted her; and no one believes her about the Iron Fey.

A fatal attack in the Winter Court has Meghan and Ash running, and Summer and Winter Courts preparing for war. Meghan thought that they had defeated the Iron King—but a new threat arises that may prove to be even more dangerous than she had ever thought.

Review

Personally, THE IRON DAUGHTER didn’t capture my heart the way the first book, The Iron King, did. However, I am fairly certain that those who loved the first book will find just as much magic, romance, and adventure in this second installment of this faerie series that deserves all its good hype.

Romance fans rejoice, as THE IRON DAUGHTER revolves much around Meghan’s romantic troubles. One minute, Ash is acting as cold as his courtly title; the next, he is doing something that makes Meghan—and us—swoon. In fact, romance takes center court in this sequel, so much so that it definitely had me rolling my eyes and smacking my palm against my forehead a few times. Meghan’s narration definitely takes a turn towards the “Bella Swan melodramatic” in this book—not a big deal if you’re caught up in Ash and the story as Meghan is, but definitely a bit irritating if you notice the Bella syndromes.

What makes this book worth reading despite any of your qualms about romantic melodrama, however, is the excellent writing and worldbuilding. Julie Kagawa writes with the heart of a cinematographer: sweeping faerie scenes are described down to the icicles sparkling at the ends of tree branches, so that you feel like you’re in Meghan’s faery world with all of your senses. Reading Julie’s books is an incredible sensory experience that adds an extra level to the popular appeal of the love triangle, faery setting, and rollicking adventure pacing.

THE IRON DAUGHTER will leave fans of the series happy, and even if I wasn’t completely enamored with the book, I am still looking forward to what adventures these beloved characters will have to face in the showdown that is to come in the next Iron Fey book.

Writing: 4/5
Characters: 3/5
Plot: 3/5

Overall Rating: 3.5 out of 5


Cover discussion: 3.5 out of 5 - I know there's little movement and it's all so very posed and heavily edited... but it's just so pretty... I can't stop staring at it... and petting it...

Harlequin TEEN / Aug. 1, 2010 / Paperback / 304pp. / $9.99

Copy... bought? Sent by a publicist? I forget. Gah. Sorry. Silly brain.

6 comments:

  1. I can't believe you didn't like this! I liked it even more than The Iron King! Thanks for the honest review though. Not everyone has to agree and I like that you gave your own opinion.

    I can't quit petting my copies either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not read either of them yet, but I do agree that the covers are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am the only person who didn't like the first book in this series. i feel strangely left out. Kind of like the I don't fancy Edward Cullen thing, only I don't have a hot shirtless werewolf to lust over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Sweeping" is a great way to describe Julie's world. I actually *do* love romantic melodrama (sigh, the 14-year-old in me can't help herself), the worldbuilding truly is what shines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got this on audiobook and I still haven't finished The Iron King. I stopped midway through, probably because I was still gushing over mockingjay. This is a great review, I look forward to reading...err, listening to this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently posted my review on this one too. I loved it but I have to admit I wasn't as enamored on The Iron Queen as much.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...