Monday, December 7, 2009

Interview with... Courtney Summers!

Courtney Summers is a young and brilliant YA author who seemingly can do no wrong with her writing. Her first book, Cracked Up to Be, instantly vaulted onto my Favorites list (check out my review of CUTB here), and her sophomore novel, Some Girls Are (St. Martin's Press / Jan. 5, 2010), which I reviewed this morning, is perhaps even better, more dark, twisted, and visceral. Courtney is generally awesome and *~*sparkly*~* if you talk to her on Twitter (@courtney_s), but this time she was awesome enough to agree to an interview for Steph Su Reads, much to EVERYONE'S delight, I'm sure! YAY!


1. Hi, Courtney! So where did the inspiration for Some Girls Are come from?

The long answer to that question is a blog entry I wrote recently called 'On Mean Girls and Writing Some Girls Are' and can be read here: http://courtneysummers.ca/2009/11/on-mean-girls-writing-some-girls-are/ --the short answer is, I was eager to make sense of my own experiences as a bullied girl and a girl who bullied other girls when I was in school. I wanted to write a book that showed how truly awful high school can be and how truly awful girls can be to one another. I think a lot of my inspiration in general comes from my interest in what makes the worst parts of us tick. I touched on it a little bit in Cracked Up to Be and I REALLY got to go there with Some Girls Are, and it was fun. Well. Maybe 'fun' isn't the right word. Wait, no--it is!

2. Back when you were a teen in high school, what characteristics did you share with Parker? With Regina?

When I was in high school, I think, like Parker, I was very, VERY cynical and at times, definitely more judgmental than I had a right to be. And like Regina, I was pretty insecure and sort of strategically mapped out my day with the people I hung around because I wanted to feel secure as possible. These aren't the most flattering things to admit about myself, I realize, but this is just me keeping it real! And stuff.


3. What was the most memorable reader's response you've gotten for Cracked Up to Be?

That's a great question! It's hard to pick just one. With Cracked Up to Be being my debut, pretty much every response was memorable. The first time I got an email from a reader saying Parker's story inspired her to get help for her own problems isn't one I'll soon forget. I never expected that would happen and I was very humbled when it did.

4. Tell us a bit about your writing process. How long does it take for you to finish a first draft of a novel? Do you like to revise/edit as you go along? Do you have a set time and place to write? Listen to music or snack while you write?

Overall, my writing process is butt-in-chair and type! I write every day, no matter what. How long it takes me to finish a draft depends on the novel. I started Cracked Up to Be in March 2007 and finished it that June. Some Girls Are, I technically started (I say technically because it was mostly plotting and replotting) in September 2007 or so and I didn't have a finished draft until August 2008. I am a rolling reviser, which means I edit as I go along, but there's always lots of work to do when the first draft is done. I am a TOTAL night owl and write at night, from 9 PM to about 6-8 in the morning. Music is an integral part of my process. I really need to feel locked in to what I'm writing and nothing helps me with that as much as a good song blasting over my headphones! But summarized: butt-in-chair. ~Fin.~


5. How was the experience of writing your sophomore novel, Some Girls Are, different from writing Cracked Up to Be?

Though Cracked Up to Be was not without its hardships, it was a piece of cake compared to writing Some Girls Are. When I was drafting, I had a really hard time unearthing Regina's story. I think it took almost four months to figure out WHAT the book was about, and I wrote and scrapped a lot of pages that to do that. Just when I was sure I had the idea, it kept falling apart on me. That went on for months. By the time I had figured the basic plot out and had gotten to a point where I was enjoying writing the book, my grandfather died. We were very close and it became nearly impossible for me to disassociate the book from his death. I managed to finish the first draft about two months after that and it was just very, very hard.

When Some Girls Are sold, it sold in an incredibly rough stage and the editorial process was INTENSE. But this was a good thing, as intense as it was. I have a wonderful editor and she really pushed me to make SGA the best book it could be and that made me totally love my book again, after having attached this awful sadness to it for so long. Overall, from start to finish, SGA was a diffficult book to write. I feel like I fought with it a lot. We had a complicated relationship, me and that book, but in a way it seems fitting to have a complicated relationship with a book that is about complicated relationships!

6. What's the most difficult part about being a writer?

Writing. :)

7. Hah, you silly goose. :) If you weren't a writer, what other career would you love to have?

I would love to do something in film. A cinematographer, maybe.


8. Okay, admit it: what's your guilty pleasure movie and TV show?

I have no guilty pleasures! I love everything guiltlessly. Guiltlessly, I say! But... if I had to pick, TLC's Say Yes to the Dress MIGHT qualify. I mean, I love it guiltlessly and without shame, but. I honestly could marathon that show forever. It's so fascinating and awesome and it always makes me cry. Sometimes I cry tears of happiness for the brides and sometimes they are appalled-at-the-prices-of-some-of-those-dresses tears.


9. You are on a reality show where the grand prize is a date with your dream celebrity. Who would you want to win a date with?

AT FIRST, I was going to say Lady Gaga. I would kill for the opportunity to meet with her and talk about her creative process and her business savvy. But then I realized that would kill the mystery of Lady Gaga a little bit and I do not want to do that. So I am going to go with Jeff Probst. Yes, Jeff Probst. The most gorgeous and snarky reality TV show host of them all. TAKE THAT, PHIL.

10. As the year draws to a close and the holiday season is upon us, we are more and more intrigued by "Best of" lists. Can you tell us your Top 10 list of books you've read in 2009, along with a short sentence describing why you picked them?

I am going to do these in alphabetical order by title! It's too hard to rank them, and not all of them came out this year, but they were my faves:

All Unquiet Things by Anna Jarzab (out January 2010!)
Features a male protag I can really love; honest, real. A mystery that kept me guessing.

Beautiful by Amy Reed (out now!)
Absolutely unflinching.

The Boys Are Back in Town by Christopher Golden (2004)
Entertaining as all get out.

Dani Noir by Nova Ren Suma (out now!)
It has an INCREDIBLE voice, a must-read for girls, wonderful wonderful wonderful.

In the Miso Soup by Ryu Murakami (2006)
Okay, this was a re-read but it is one of my most favourite books of all time--next best thing to some of my favourite Robert Cormier.

The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney (scheduled for fall 2010!)
Intelligent and heartbreaking, you will root for this fierce, smart, brave protagonist.

My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor (2008)
Made me--and will make you--feel like one amazing, incredible, miraculous machine.

One Lonely Degree by C.K. Kelly Martin (out now!)
A gutsy book with one of the most relatable characters I've read all year--a must read.

Overqualified by Joey Comeau (out now!)
It's nuanced, bleak, heartbreaking and HILARIOUS.

The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp (out now!)
Sutter Keely is a Holden Caulfield I can actually like and that's no small thing.

-

Thank you, Courtney, for sharing your answers with us! Personally I find her revelations about writing SGA and writing in general to be quite interesting to know. I hope you check out Some Girls Are when it comes out next month--but for those of you who don't want to wait, I have a special surprise coming real soon....

62 comments:

  1. Great interview! Cracked Up To Be is one of my favorite reads and I cannot wait to get a copy of Some Girls Are when it comes out. I love how she writes such in your face characters

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really cool!(:
    I wanna read Cracked up to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh, nice interview! I like how honest Courtney Summers tries to be in accurately portraying her high school experience. Can't wait to read Some Girls Are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the interview, I really love finding out the creative process behind the books I (will eventually) read =D
    still waiting for my contest-won copy to arrive in the mail, can't wait~

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's the most difficult part about being a writer?

    Writing. :)

    LOL

    thanks girls, for a great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome interview! She's such a fabulous author!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL I love your choice of Jeff Probst, he IS very snarky! He cracks me up, that would surely be a fun dinner date!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to read both of her books! They look great! What a fun and informative interview. :) I'm a sucker for a good TLC show too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview. I'll have to check out those books she mentions at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely adding the books she mentioned to my TBR list! AWESOME interview!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really need to read both of her books and all the books she listed as her top ten. They all sound amazing and I will have to check them out. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was a great interview. Courtney is a new to me author, and I loved learning more about her!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to read her books! I love to see other people's 'best of' lists. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun interview. I've never read anything by Courtney Summers, but now I really want to!

    ReplyDelete
  15. awesome interview I actually read that post on mean girls she did and it was great to hear her thoughts and others.

    ReplyDelete
  16. She´s awesome!!! Really nice interview

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice interview :) Out of the top 10, I only read In the Miso Soup by Ryu Murakami. Picked it up at the bookstore and started to read through it and got hooked! :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm even more excited to read Some Girls Are now! I love that Courtney was so honest in answering those questions.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. It makes Some Girls Are that little bit more, knowing that Summers was bullied and a bully herself. Wow, I can't wait to read this book! Thanks for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This interview was seriously hilarious! Loved Courtney's answers!

    Reggie =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great interview - i love her list of books at the end - I've been busy looking them all up!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Both Cracked Up to Be and Some Girls Are are powerful novels.

    I'm so glad that I got Courtney hooked on Christopher Golden! He's an amazing author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Both Cracked Up to Be and Some Girls Are are powerful novels.

    I'm so glad that I got Courtney hooked on Christopher Golden! He's an amazing author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's nice to read such an honest, interesting interview. Thanks, steph and Courtney!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome interview, and I LOVE the book list! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a great interview. Great questions, great answers. Courtney Summers is so awesome.

    ~robby

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love Courtney! Love the interview! Def loved her top 10 I'm waiting for half of those books myself!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the interview, its awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for listing my book, Courtney! You were my inspiration to write YA!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I liked the interview, really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Enjoyed the interview. I remember high school and it was tough at times. I like that she was a night owl totally. I have a daughter like that.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm thankful that Courtney was so frank during her interview...and she sure is a night owl; I'd be falling asleep on my laptop!

    ReplyDelete
  33. thanks for the interview. i enjoyed so much. knowing a new Author for me is always a pleasure :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I loved this interview! Courtney's tweets are always so ridiculous and I love that this interview showed her more *serious* side...

    I've been looking at THE SPECTACULAR NOW for quite some time and now I must read it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great interview! All those books are now on my TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I can't wait to buy my copy of SOME GIRLS ARE!

    I loved this interview... and then I get to #10 and I can't believe she mentioned my book! WOW! You should see my face right now!

    !!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I felt like biting my nails when I read every one of the SGA chapters up on Courtney's website. So much tension.

    Anyway, so it's extremely cool to hear some behind the scenes info on the book. Can't wait to devour it next month!

    And I'm chuffed to be on this list. Thanks, Courtney!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I haven't read any of the books on her list! I need to get cracking.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love the interview,,, i loved the "whats the most difficult part about being a writer?" --writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Awesome interview. Glad to see she recommends Dani Noir. That book looks really good. Also love to hear about her writing process.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I always love it when authors share insights about the writing process! Thank you for this lovely interview!

    (Oh, I advertise the ARC contest on my livejournal here:
    http://amethysth.livejournal.com/42199.html?mode=reply )

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love it when authors talk about their writing process. I find it fascinating to find out how they come up with their stories.

    Cracked Up to Be has been on my wishlist for some time now :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. What's the most difficult part about being a writer?

    Writing.


    How cute. I love reading interviews with Courtney, she's always so friendly and fun. I'm going to check out the books on her Best Of soon, they all sound great. And I'm looking forward to reading Some Girls Are too ^^

    ReplyDelete
  44. I had to laugh at her comment of Lady Gaga! LG certainly is an intriguing artiste, well, I only like two of her songs. :)

    I also like her way of writing everyday no matter what. Maybe I should include that in my daily schedule too!

    That's a fabulous interview.

    ReplyDelete
  45. GREAT interview! I just read Cracked up to be about a month ago because my friend told me I had to read it. It quickly became one of my favorite books. It was SO good! Teehee, I also love Say Yes To The Dress. My boyfriend doesn't get why I like watching women try on wedding dresses. : )

    ReplyDelete
  46. Interesting interview! I loved the "Best of" list - gotta check out those titles!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Great interview!! Courtney is really nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow, writing' really hard. Courtney sounds like a really dedicated and good one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Great interview! And I knew she's say Jeff Probst! She talks about him all the time on Twitter! HAhahaha! (I must admit, he is kinda gorgeous)

    ReplyDelete
  50. I enjoyed reading this interview. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  51. That was a pretty funny interview.

    ReplyDelete
  52. She is really funny!
    I wanna read Cracked up to be, and Some girls are soon.

    Great interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Excellent interview! I am excited about reading both these books. I love the fact that a reader said her book inspired her to get help for her own problems. What a wonderful testimonial!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Awesome interview!! I love hearing Authors thoughts on their book etc. Thanks so much!:)
    I really wanna read Cracked up to be. Ill have to get around to it;)

    ReplyDelete
  55. I love reading a book when the characters of the book are inspired from the authors own experiences.It adds up a more personal touch.
    Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Haha, brilliant interview. Great answer about the toughest part of being a writer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  57. Ha, this interview was so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Nice interview!!! I enjoyed her answer on who she would love to date. And also the answer about her inspiration for her new book. Some girls are really mean, but from working with kids...mean girls are starting kind of young...like elementary school!!!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Great interview! Definitely not dry and boring! I like her sense of humor and honesty.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...