Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Book Angel Project (with Lisa Schroeder)

A few weeks ago lovely author Lisa Schroeder asked for volunteers to participate in a Book Angel project. Lucky me, I got chosen. Lisa sent me a signed hardback copy of her latest book, Far From You, and I was to pass it on to someone or a group who could use an inspirational book.
Lisa's inscription on the inside of the book: "Angels are everywhere if we believe."

Needless to say, I was terrified. When I commented on her blog post, I never realized that I could actually be chosen. I mean, I sort of like talking to strangers--I wouldn't be a tour guide if I didn't--but only if there were established dynamics involved: I talk, they listen, they ask me questions. What were people going to say when a total stranger plops a book down in front of them and insists that they take it for very abstract reasons?

I had trouble finding a nice place to give the book to. Originally I had wanted to donate it to this Girl Street program that a local hospital ran, which runs discussion groups for adolescent girls, but my free time could never coincide with their office hours. Alas.

Finally, I decided to donate Far From You to St. Clare's, a hospital that is a five-minute drive from my house. They have a pretty famous cancer treatment center there, and I thought that a person with a sick family member might feel comforted if they, say, picked the book up in the waiting area or something. When I entered the reception lobby, there was a man sitting on a bench island in the middle of the room, sullenly reading a newsletter. Perhaps he can be reading something much more uplifting. Who knows? I hope that the hospital patients who now have access to Lisa's book will appreciate it and find solace in the book's characters. :)

7 comments:

  1. Aw, that was a really nice thing to do! I'm sure they really liked it. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Steph. What a BRILLIANT idea. I really hope it helps someone who needs some comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a great idea! I think you chose a great place to pass the book forward. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a cool idea. Now lots of people can benefit from reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww, how sweet of you to do that. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww that's so sweet of you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...