Monday, April 27, 2009

Review: Faery Rebels Spell Hunter by R. J. Anderson

Publication date: April 28, 2009

Tags: YA, middle grade, fantasy, faeries, friendship

Rating: 5 out of 5

Summary

After a horrifying yet mysterious event known as the Sundering, the faeries who live in the Oakenwyld possess very little magic, and something seems to be killing them off, even as their queen, Amaryllis, forbids them to go outside the Oak, for fear that predators—such as crows and the terrifying humans—will destroy them even faster.

However, the Queen’s Hunter, Knife, will not be satisfied with staying away from the humans. She ends up befriending Paul, a crippled human boy living in the nearby House. The more Knife learns about the humans, the more she thinks there is something fishy about her faery community’s mistrust of humans. With Paul and her faery friends’ help, Knife may be able to discover what is ailing Oakenwyld—but only at the cost of heavy sacrifices. What is Knife willing to do for love, even if the love is impossible?

Review

The world of FAERY REBELS is instantly engaging, a space filled with danger, betrayal, creativity, and hope. Knife is a fantastic character, a young faery willing to follow her instincts and take risks; she reminds me a lot of Katniss from The Hunger Games, which was GREAT! I have no doubt that she will easily win the hearts of readers of all ages.

R. J. Anderson spins a convincing world with strong supporting characters and an elaborate plotline, filled with interesting backstories. At times I got frustrated when the characters felt the need to talk aloud every step of their thought process to reach revelations that I, as the reader, would’ve liked to figure out myself, instead of being smashed in the face with it. But I can see why younger readers—those in middle school—wouldn’t be bothered by that, so I suppose it was just a minor complaint on my part.

Overall, FAERY REBELS is a must-read 2009 debut novel. You will reluctantly put the book down at the end, sad because you crave so much more of Knife and Paul’s world. Seriously, treat yourself to this marvelous fantasy novel, and then you, like me, will be eagerly awaiting what R. J. Anderson has for us next.

Similar Authors
Suzanne Collins (The Hunger Games)
Holly Black (Tithe)

Writing: 4/5
Characters: 5/5
Plot: 4/5

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5

Cover discussion: 3 out of 5 - I'm slightly disturbed by the faery appearance of the model: you know, skinniness, white hair. But it is fairly representative of what the faeries in this book look like, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate non-stock photo covers!

-

I promise there will be a non-review post coming up soon (maybe later tonight), but in the meantime, comment on this review of Faery Rebels and get an extra entry for my Support Teen Lit Giant Giveaway!

27 comments:

  1. Heck, I went out and bought the UK version because I liked the cover better. :) I just started the book on Friday while waiting for my lift home - need to get more time to read in my life!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review. Glad you're posting again. Fantasy doesn't move much in our library. I don't know why. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister has this and I keep meaning to read it but never get round to it. I'll have to move it up my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I had been a little put off by the cover, but it sounds brilliant, like a book both I and my students would love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been seeing great reviews for this. Initially I wasn't interested, but now, I think I've caught the Faery Rebels bug! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the UK cover a lot better, but it sounds like a really fun book! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this sounds fantastic (and Im not even a fairy fan)! I kinda like the cover, nice change from photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds pretty cool. I don't like the cover though, so if I got it, I think I'd have to get the UK one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice review. I agree on the cover. I dont know what the faeries in the book look like but its nice to see something a bit different. Im going to have to look up the UK one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh good, I'm not the only one who's somewhat put off by the cover! I had to go look it up since everyone kept mentioning it and I totally agree, the UK cover is MUCH better! And wow, 5 out of 5? I'll have to see about getting my hands on this book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great review! i'm reading it now too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book looks really good! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I have to read this after seeing your review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds good! Just looked up the UK cover, and I have to agree that it is more interesting and eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really 5 out of 5? I can't wait to read it. It is out today, yay!

    you have a present at my blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can not tell you how much I am dying for this book! I am totally envious of you!

    Fantastic review (as usual)!

    ReplyDelete
  17. There's not enough book on fairies, and this one looks definitively great! Great review!

    I invite you to stop by my blog, where an award is waiting for you. I love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I so can't wait to get my hands on this book!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your review definitely makes me want to read it even more!! Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This one does sound good. I didn't know much about it for awhile. I really like the cover.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, a 5/5! This is definitely one I'll have to check out. I guess the "model" on the cover is a little on the skinny side, but it's still a beautiful cover. =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've never read these fantasy faery books, but since you gave it a 5/5, I'm gonna check it on! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I might have to check this one out! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't usually read much fantasy, but I need to branch out! This sounds interesting. I'm a little creeped out by the cover, though... it's the smoothness of the complexion, I think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I want, want, want this boooookkkk!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds really good!! This is moving to the top of my TBR pile. Thank you - I'm finding so many good books on your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...