Monday, February 23, 2009

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox is hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren (idea created indirectly by Alea!).

Me, the Missing, and the Dead by Jenny Valentine

Me: Lucas Swain—I'm nearly sixteen years old and live in London. I was fairly normal until the night I found Violet. Then everything changed.

The Missing: Dad. He disappeared five years ago. Nobody knows what happened to him, and nobody cares except me. It's enough to drive you crazy.

The Dead: That's Violet . . . in the urn. Speaking of crazy—I know she's trying to tell me something, and I think it's about my father. . . .

A dead lady may not be much to go on, but my dad's out there somewhere, and it's up to me to find out where.

North Korea Kidnapped My Daughter by Sakie Yokota
from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program

On November 15, 1977, 13 year-old Megumi Yokota disappeared without a trace while on her way home from school. Twenty years later a newspaper revealed she was abducted by North Korean operatives and was still in North Korea. Megumi and at least 13 others were taken from coastal cities in Japan during the 1970s and 80s, shoved into holding cells on spy vessels, and shipped off to North Korea to train agents in Japanese culture and customs. The perpetrators of the Korean Air Flight 858 bombing in 1987 posed as Japanese nationals thanks to such training.

North Korea Kidnapped My Daughter is Sakie Yokota’s memoir of the last 30 years without her daughter. Her resounding faith is inspirational as is her unfaltering determination to repatriate Megumi. Mrs. Yokota vividly recounts the horrifying panic when Megumi went missing and the entire ordeal of her daughter’s absence.

O.Y.L. by Scott Heydt

Sent by the author himself for me! Yay! Thanks, Scott! I'll be reading this and putting up a review soon.




Hope everyone had a nice, book-filled week as well! I'll be updating soon with how my weekend of swimming conferences went. It's good news, but I'm glad to be back! :)

7 comments:

  1. Wow - that North Korea book sounds really sad and scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The North Korea book looks prety good. Sad tho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh cool, you got Jenny Valentine's book! Can't wait to see what you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. North Korea Kidnapped My Daughter by Sakie Yokota is definitely going on my wish list/tbr. I am partial to books by writers from around the globe and the fact the subject matter is harrowing or disturbing doesn't turn me off but appeals to me. Reading about how others overcome is inspiring. Plus, I enjoy memoirs. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny Valentine is brilliant! I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that Jenny Valentine is brilliant! I didn't realise the title of this book was different outside the UK, though. Interesting!

    I hope you enjoy all these books! Looking forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me, The Missing, and the Dead sounds fun! I love the cover for it, and the synopsis is hilarious! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...