Saturday, February 14, 2009

Review: Generation Dead by Daniel Waters


Tags: YA, paranormal, zombies, prejudice

They don't like to be called zombies. Or dead heads, or worm food, or whatever pejorative terms the "creative" people of the world are coming up with. They're differently biotic: American teens literally rising from the dead into some semblance of their former selves. Everyone is terrified of them. What are they, and why have they come back from the dead?

High school junior Phoebe doesn't share the world's qualms. In fact, she just might have a crush on Tommy Williams, a quietly powerful differently biotic boy who shocks all the students of Oakvale High when he tries out for the football team, just to prove that he can. Phoebe admires Tommy's guts, but there are people less happy with his actions, most notably Pete Martinsburg, fellow teammate and soul-crushing zombie-hater who just might do anything to stop the differently biotic from living a life that is not theirs to live.

Phoebe's best friend Adam is secretly in love with her, and thus finds it difficult to believe that she can like, well, a dead guy like Tommy Williams. But as Adam begins to learn about the plight of the differently biotic, the prejudices and difficulties they face, he realizes that maybe the only way he can help Phoebe be happy is by protecting Tommy... no matter the cost.

Wow! Daniel Waters creatively plugs into the typical YA reader's love for paranormal romance and ends up teaching us all a lesson about civil rights, prejudice, and tolerance. All of the characters are carefully constructed to be three-dimensional: readers can even empathize with the jerk Pete Martinsburg's tortured feelings towards zombies. I also appreciated the generous--and accurate!--details about sports (football, baseball, Frisbee) because that is not something I come across often enough in YA literature. While occasionally the lecturing about tolerance goes on for a page too long, overall GENERATION DEAD is a fun way of being enlightened about the issues regarding bigotry and prejudice.

Rating: 4 out of 5

8 comments:

  1. Details about football and other sports? Wow, I just might learn something then :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. I really have to pick this up out of my insane tbr pile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Generation Dead and can't wait for Kiss of Life. What's gonna happen to Adam?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should get around to reading this.. I've had it since it was released. Thanks for the review, it sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, and I will read this and Kiss of Life probably in April or so and review them together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read this one...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is what I enjoy about your reviews: you go beyond endorsement. You provide insight and reason to read a book. Skimming the title and genre I would have passed on a book like this. Because of your review, I might be checking it out. Thanks.

    Oh, please accept my invitation to you and your readers to take advantage of an opportunity to win a free book.

    Answer our quiz and your name will be entered in a monthly drawing. Cool prizes, check out our Prize Bucket.

    Lit quiz at Color Online

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this book too and I'm also looking forward to Kiss of Life.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...