Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Review: Secret Society Girl by Diana Peterfreund

Wow! I am absolutely bowled over by the number of people who, like me, are excited about my contest! Thanks for participating, yay! And spread the word so that more people can have this exciting opportunity as well! Good luck all!!

So onto the review...

Secret Society Girl by Diana Peterfreund


Tags: college, secret societies, sexism

Amy Haskel is a junior at the esteemed Eli University, editor of the college literary magazine…and not much else. Which is why she is utterly surprised when she is “tapped” by one of the famed Eli secret societies—in fact, by THE most notorious secret society of all, Rose & Grave, for which admittance promises eternal job security, prime networking, and lifelong happiness, more or less.

Encouraged by her friend-with-benefits Brandon Weare to stop overthinking for once, Amy accepts Rose & Grave’s tap, and soon finds herself swept up in the strange new world of initiation and the company of people she would never have associated with if it weren’t for the common bond of their society: sons of governors and bitchy girls who did her wrong, for example. Surrounded by the rich, beautiful, accomplished, and famous, Amy feels extremely out of place, and wonders if she had been mistakenly tapped.

All of a sudden, a crisis descends that threatens to tear apart the whole society. Until Amy’s tap class, Rose & Grave had been exclusively a male-only society, and many of the old-fashioned patriarchs want to keep it that way. Amy and her new society siblings must scramble to come up with a plan that will keep Rose & Grave intact…and their futures out of the gutter.

SECRET SOCIETY GIRL marks the beginning of a series that is unlike most female-protagonist, secret-society books in that it is actually intelligent and funny. I found myself laughing out loud at many spots, and Amy is a wonderful protagonist, a girl with a backbone and a splendidly snark-filled voice. Of course, there are still plenty of romantic entanglements to satisfy our natural desire for, well, desire. I’m excited to pick up the next book in the series and devour it like I did this one!

You'll like this if you also like...
Megan McCafferty
E. Lockhart (The Disresputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks)

Rating: 4.5/5

-

I'm excited for Waiting for Wednesday tomorrow, because... well, you know.... guess you'll see....

2 comments:

  1. Sounds fun! I loved Frankie Landau-Banks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I bought this series and I'm even more excited now! I love the way you write your reviews!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...