Friday, March 6, 2009

Friday Featured Blogger: Brooke!

In randomly perusing the blogosphere, I stumbled upon the lovely Brooke's blog and was immediately drawn to her inviting book reviews and *admission* her lists of upcoming book releases that she so marvelously keeps for the less time management-inclined people (aka me). B, as she likes to be known, was kind enough to answer my exceedingly, ahem, annoying questions. Thanks, B! :)

So! Tell us about yourself in a few short sentences.

Hello everyone! I'm Brooke, most people just call me "B". I live in Tampa, Fl with my boyfriend, brother, our two dogs (Riley & Elliott), and rabbit (Jack). It's not a quiet house AT ALL, and we're always having fun! I'm addicted to reading and playing Civilization IV on the computer, the game really takes away from my reading time, but I just can't control myself!

When did you start your blog and why? What interesting things can visitors expect?

I started my blog EXACTLY a year ago, so it's fun to have this interview to share my experiences with everyone. I've become close with many authors and other reviewers, and some of them have become my closest confidants. People may like the fact that I'm completely honest in my reviews. I'm not going to sugarcoat things or hold back just because I like the author or think it's mean. If you like honesty then my blogs the place to be. I also do a weekly update for releases that are out that week. I know I used to have a horrible time trying to remember which books I wanted and when they were being released. So I decided to start keeping track, and posting it for everyone to see.

I know I certainly take advantage of your new-releases posts, and am similarly bowled over by how many friends I've made since I've had a blog. So what are 3 of your favorite books and why everyone should read them?

Ah, the three favorite book question! It gets me every time, it's like my mind goes blank. Let me see, I'd have to start with my childhood favorite Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. My Grandmother bought it for me when I turned four, and it was the first real book I ever read. I think it's a good book for young females to read, because it's about standing up for what you believe, and sticking by your family. Plus, it's a classic! Then there is Kim Harrison's The Hollows Series (can I say the whole series?!), especially Every Which Way But Dead, it really sealed the deal for me which genre is my ultimate favorite, and that's Urban Fantasy. Kim Harrison is able to create characters that you will love, and a world that you want be a part of. Last but not least I'll say that 13 Reasons Why was a really touching book, my heart hasn't ached like that during a book in a long time. I love the way it bounces between the two main characters, and you really get to know each one deeply.

What are a couple of the best "classics" you've ever read?

My favorite classics are Little Women and The Secret Garden. They were the first books I owned and read, and they will always be dear to me!

And urban fantasy, yes! Can you elaborate a bit about why the genre is so appealing to you?

Urban Fantasy is appealing to me because it's like our world with a twist. I like reading about different cities and the spin the authors put on them. Also, UF isn't always about strong sexy females. We have our male leads too like, Simon Canderous in Anton Strout's Dead Series and Harry Dresden from Jim Butcher's Dresden Files.

What's a book that made you laugh until you cried (or something close to that)?

The last book that I read and found myself laughing loudly many, many, many times was Paper Towns by John Green. He's such a quirky guy, and some of the stuff he comes up with just kills me. I was laughing so hard that my little brother told me that he was definitely going to read it when I was done.

I LOVE John Green and I love that you love him. :) Favorite authors?

Rachel Vincent, Rachel Caine, and ooh should I do three Rachels? I don't think it's possible! I'll go with Nalini Singh. These three ladies write strong female main characters, and I like to wish that I could be in their shoes fighting the bad guys and kicking butt! Rachel Vincent has the amazing Werecat Series, but she is also a funny, nice, and personable person. That sounds kind of redundant right? Rachel Caine has so many series going that I don't know how she manages it all. Her Weather Warden Series is really different to me in that it's Urban Fantasy/Sci Fi, but it doesn't have vampires or werewolves. I think that's why I enjoy them so much, but I also love her YA Morganville Vampires Series. If I want an intense love story that includes action and paranormal aspects, then I definitely turn to Nalini Singh.

Seems like you're really into books with strong female protagonists! Can you recommend a few more "girl-power" YA books for us bloggers?

My favorite female lead in young adult is Rose from the Vampire Academy series. She's strong, protective of those she loves, and always does what she thinks is right. Even though that may be wrong and get her into more troubles. Also, Aislinn in Wicked Lovely was a great leading lady. There is also Misty, a character in Kristopher Reizs's Unleashed. She doesn't narrate but she plays a big part in the story.

Favorite animal?

Puppies. It's so unoriginal to say puppies, but I can't help it! I love my dogs, other people’s dogs, even stray dogs. I've rescued several strays, and this always gets me in trouble with my boyfriend lol. Every time I see a dog running around the neighborhood I get out of my car and try to save the puppy! If I was going to step out of the box, it would be penguins. How cute are those little boogers?

I love penguins…but I like puppies as well! What are some things you just LOVE to receive for presents? :)

I love receiving BOOKS. People don't even have to ask me what I want, they just go straight to my Amazon wishlist. I continuously add to the list, so there are over 500 books on it!

And finally, share with us 2 things about yourself that can spark conversation.

I started cheerleading at the age of six. I continued to cheer in All Stars through out high school. I then coached for 11 years, and my team won many state and national titles. It was a really fun time in my life, but it's very time consuming and I found I didn't have much time to do things for myself. Since I stopped coaching I've gone back to school to get my degree in Secondary Education. I hope to use my skills as a coach in the classroom!

-

I had so much fun getting to know B, and I hope you stop by her blog and say hello. Also, she's holding a contest. That's all I'm gonna say here. As if you need more incentive to find more friendly bloggers/potential friends!

11 comments:

  1. Nice interview. And I agree, there's nothing better than opeing a box full of books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so fun to read interviews with other bloggers isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Steph! I had a lot of fun doing this interview, you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting interview--I met B. on an author/reader network I'm a part of, and it was nice to see what she's like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! I love these blogger sotlights :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyone who spotlights strong female leads earns points with me. Enjoyed the interview. Will check out B's blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. B is just about the nicest person in the whole wide world... and I think if she has a daughter, she'll name her Rachel:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Hollows series!

    Excellent interview.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Checked Brook's blog and enjoyed it. Added it to my blogroll.

    Steph, thanks for the link for Little Lov'n Monday. Please check our Prize Bucket and my shelf at paperback for a swap book. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She likes penguins??? But then, how could you not! Now I know I have to go there!! Great interview, Steph Su. It's a lot of fun to know a little bit about the bloggers who inhabit our universe. That new release feature sounds really good too.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...