Monday, March 9, 2009

Review: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Publication date: April 2, 2009

Tags: YA, death, music, love, Oregon

It was the snow’s fault. Oregoners aren’t used to it. And so a freak car crash kills 17-year-old Mia’s parents and younger brother and leaves her in grave condition at a Portland hospital. Mia has an out-of-body experience and looks down at her own messed-up body: asphalt abrasions, collapsed lung, brain contusions, orphaned, with a grim and devastating future ahead for her.

Even with all her loved ones praying for her in the waiting room, Mia feels like she has nothing left to live for. So what if she gets into Juilliard with her amazing cello playing? So what if her wonderful boyfriend, punk rocker Adam, wants her to stay? What is it all without her adoring family, to be known as the orphan girl for the rest of her life?

No matter what others want of her, the decision is Mia’s alone. Will she let herself go and join her family? Or will she choose the painful life and an uncertain future?

Calling this book stunning and heart-rending is no exaggeration. I was in tears for the last third of this book. Gayle Forman’s characters are so well drawn, realistic yet intriguing and lovable. After reading this book you’ll wish you had cool parents like Mia’s! I particularly loved Mia and Adam, the unlikely musical couple: her classical versus his “emo-core.” Their relationship is not perfect, but it’s their imperfections—and how they get through it—that strikes such a chord with me, makes me cheer for them through all their hardships.

I won’t be surprised if IF I STAY becomes one of 2009’s most talked-about books, racking up the awards—and the tissues. Don’t miss this one, please.

Similar Authors
Sarah Dessen
Elizabeth Scott

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

28 comments:

  1. I have this one in my TBR pile and am dying to read it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book. The subject of music excites me. Hopefully I can get my hands on it soon.

    Thanks for the review Steph : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review. I might have to pick this book up some time! For some reason, the cover reminds me of the Giving Tree... And I have No idea why!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to digging into this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! And I agree, I think this one will be talked about a lot, and at least be nominated for numerous awards. It's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If similar authors are Sarah Dessen and Elizabeth Scott I'll definitely try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not big on romance but if you say this is stunning, I'm going to check it out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds awesome! I'm definitely going to add it to my wishlist... and remind myself to get it in a few weeks! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - it sounds like such a beautiful read! And 4.5/5, quite the feat =) Too bad the publication date's so far away; I'm not very good at waiting patiently ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa - I just googled it, and http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/02/24/catherine-hardwicke-adapting-gayle-formans-if-i-stay/

    They're making it into a movie? With Catherine Hardwicke directing? (Or is it just a rumour...hmm)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know EXACTLY what I'm asking for my birthday! :)

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, interesting! I can't wait to read this one. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this was on my Waiting on Wednesday list, now it's on my Spring Break reading list! Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review! I can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this sounds like an extremely unique story. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoa ... great premise. I've just added it to my TBR stack.

    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is on my TBR list. Thanks for the warning about needing tissues!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I (obviously) have been infected with the Gayle Forman adoration virus. I loved this book, it's equal top with Jennifer Echol's Going Too Far for best books of 2009.

    My only real comment - you're giving it away? I don't think I could part from mine lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I SO want to read this! It's getting great reviews everywhere, and the summary alone is enough to get me to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've heard good things about this. I think I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really want to read this. I've heard amazing things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow. This book sounds amazing. I've been seeing it everywhere, and the cover especially has intrigued me. But the story sounds amazing too. I really, really want to read this now.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't wait to read this as soon as I can get a copy. One of my top 5 wants this season! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't read it yet, and I wasn't going to read it at first, but all the talk about that I've read about it made me want to read it so now I'm waiting to save some money to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've read SO many great reviews about this book, which makes me really want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I heard good things about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This sounds so sad! Another book for my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...