Saturday, March 14, 2009

Review: Flipped by Wendelin van Draanen

Tags: middle grade, YA, he-said/she-said, coming of age

The first time Juli Baker saw Bryce Loski's blue eyes that day he moved in across the street from her in second grade, she lost her usually intelligent mind. She spent the next 6 years chasing after him. Not 2 hours after moving into the house across from Juli's, Bryce knew she was dangerous. He spent the next 6 years trying to avoid her, and yet not being able to, because Juli Baker was everywhere, doing everything, often perfectly.

Their middle school years clash between a destroyed sycamore tree, Juli's homegrown chickens and their eggs, Bryce's widowed grandfather, and family problems and secrets. By 8th grade, Juli pegs Bryce as a shallow jerk. She is so over him. Meanwhile, Bryce sees something in Juli that he has never noticed before. Is it the way she talks about beauty and nature like an adult? Is it the way she reminds Bryce's grandfather of his spirited dead wife? Eighth grade will be one flipped year for the two of them.

This book is charming, funny, and well-written. Juli and Bryce are incredibly well-drawn protagonists who learn to grow up through the novel. More than being simply a story about their friendship/relationship, however, Flipped also touches on topics such as family, socioeconomic status, and mental illness. This is Stargirl for the younger set, but both middle and high schoolers alike will be able to empathize with the main characters and connect with their teenage language.

Similar Authors
Jerry Spinelli (Stargirl)
Carl Hiaasen (Hoot)
Lisa Yee

Writing: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Plot: 4/5
Cover: 4/5

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5

23 comments:

  1. This sounds fun. And I love that she raises chickens =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nominated you for the "I love your blog" award!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review - and how cute is that cover?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wanted to read this book. lol

    i have something for you here

    http://trublu93.blogspot.com/2009/03/i-heart-ur-blog-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember reading this book last year and it being so good that I brushed my teeth while reading it! My dad got a picture of that and now whenever someone comes over he likes to show it to them . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you liked it. My students are big fans of it. I have it on the shelf in my classroom library, so I'll definitely read it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AH I remember reading it when I was in grade 7 or 8. I liked the ending. It's pretty cute but saddening at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGODDNESS! One of my all time favorites.
    I love it so darn much, i read it back in middle school and have since then, re-read it at least 10 times. the ending was fantastic too.
    -amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this a few summers ago. It was cute. But I was sad with the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! Interesting cover. It would definitely make me pick the book up! Talk about great marketing.

    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like such a cute story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read Flipped a while ago, and I really enjoyed it. It's really cute, even though Bryce really is a jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice review. I've heard of this, but never read it. It sounds pretty good though, and I like that their ideas of each other flip. Awesome. Love the cover.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  14. Six years is a long time! I think I'll put this in my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved this book! I read it awhile ago and fell in love with it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always see this book in the bookstore, and I always mean to read it. But I never have. It looks really interesting. My kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 5 out of 5? I have to check it for sure!
    Never heard about this one before but it seems nice, and I love nice books!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the cutest book cover ever, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great review! Great cover concept!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds really good! Will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hated this book but others might like and should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...