Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I saw the movie version of Speak tonight.

For class. (Can we just state for the record that Education classes at Swarthmore are, like, gifts from God, and the Ed professors are Gods' angels, and what we talk about are holy words? Thank you.) Now, Speak was one of my favorite books back in late middle school/early high school when I first read it. Laurie Halse Anderson's darkly humorous yet lyrical way of describing the emotional impacts of rape on a young girl enthralled and terrified me. I didn't even know there was a movie made of the story until the big news about Kristen Stewart being cast as Bella Swan, etc etc etc, and then I was like, Huh. Guess I'll try to watch that movie eventually.

I'm always nervous about book-turned-movies, especially if it's a YA book that the movie is based on. YA just seems to me like a literary genre that gets most of its strength from emotional, mental, and psychological aspects. In other words, "off-screen" moments, thoughts, and descriptions that don't translate too well onto the screen; it mostly ends up consisting of the actors and actresses standing around, slouching sullenly, their faces pulled into long expressions of loneliness, frustration, angst, etc various-minute-alterations-to-facial-expressions-and-body-language-that-are-difficult-to-detect.

Kristen Stewart's performance as Melinda Sordino in Speak was certainly no different. Lots of standing around, lots of loaded silences and stares that intend to portray that which was not said in dialogue. This is the unfortunate side effect of translating a book that occurs mostly in the protagonist's head onto the silver screen, I'm realizing.

HOWEVER (and that's a big however), I am by no means saying that this movie wasn't good. In fact, it was pretty darn good. It was a little weird seeing faces that I recognized from other movies playing out these characters (um, hello? Will Stronghold from Sky HighBella Swan?), but maybe I just have trouble distinguishing typical awkwardness as seen from the eyes of an adolescent versus the awkwardness of unintentionally stilted acting. Aiyah.

What really got me, though, was Kristen's portrayal of the rape scene. Not that I have very movie rape scenes to compare this one to (I think Last Tango in Paris had a sort of-ish one, but I didn't like that movie so it shouldn't count), but... it was just so... heartwrenching. Ack! I wanted to throw a hammer at the guy, provided I had a hammer on hand and provided that I then had the thousand or so dollars it would've cost to fix the screen. Kristen was also amazing at showing Melinda's growth over the school year, from a frightened and reticent "freshmeat" to a more assertive girl.

I can't lie and say that I really liked the movie, because the book will always have a special place in my heart, but if you're looking for a decent adaptation of a YA book, you should check Speak out.

Orrr if you have, what did you think of it? I'd love to know! :)

-

Holy crap I just checked on IMDB and apparently Kristen Stewart and one of her costars from Speak (Michael Angarano, Dave Petrakis in this movie) are, um, going out? Hehe. Cute. Michael's one of those cute sort-of awkward types that I will crush incessantly and futilely on. Cute.

16 comments:

  1. Yeah, it's that guy who she's dating. I think she needs to um...dump him for Rob? :) I loved Speak. The novel is much better than the movie of course, but I think Kristen did a wonderful job in the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nahh! lol. Rob is way too pale and tortured-looking. Perfect for a decades-old vampire, a little disturbing for an actual human being. I also like that Kristen chose the smiling, slightly nerdy-looking guy over the grimacing hot sex symbol of the 21st century. :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool. They've been going out for about five years I think? That's pretty long. And I can't wait to watch the movie and compare it to the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to lobby my coordinator to buy the movie for the agency. Thanks, Steph.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely going to check it out. (Love the blog - now following).

    Steph
    http://heyteenager.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to see this, I've heard mostly good things about it. And I want to read the book too!

    Great post.. I'm glad it's a decent adaptation. Those can be hard to come by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting post. I love this book and I'm really curious about the film now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah Will Stronghold and Bella Swan, what a combination. You made me want to watch the movie and read the book immediately, it sounds so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no idea there was a movie. But Kristen Stewart and Michael Angarano? Kind of perfect. (You're right about crushing on him though. So right.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. susan, Yes! I think this will be a powerful addition to your library.

    Thao, I love Sky High! It's cheesy in a way that makes me smile and come back to it for me. Kind of like, uhhh, High School Musical...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked Speak--glad you did as well. I loved the book also, and it's one of the few times where I liked both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this movie but I saw it before I read the book

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, definitely did not know there was a movie adaptation of Speak! Even though I'm not a K-Stew fan (the more I watch "Twilight," the less I enjoy her acting... um, at all) I am a huge fan of Laurie Halse Anderson. Definitely going to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really liked the movie adaptation of the book. I saw this a few years back and I think Kristen did a really great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really liked the movie version of Speak. In my opinion, Kristen did better there than in Twilight.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I Just Found Out The Other Day That This Book Was MAde Into A Movie. OF COurse, Having Read The The Book Twice(And Loving Every Bit Of It MAy I Add) Had To Find The Movie And Watch It. So Thats Exactly What I Did. I Loved Kristen Stewart In Here. I Was Wondering If Anyone Might Know Where I Could Buy A Copy Of This Movie OTher Than Online Cuz I Really Hate Shopping Online. If Anyone Knows, My Email Is mytruelove_13@hotmail.com, Just Send Me A Shout Out And Let Me Know. Thanks A Million!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so excited to read what you have to say. Due to high amounts of spam, I'm forced to disabled anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, and I hope you can understand and still appreciate the content here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...